50's Columbia 20"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MplsCoaster said:
Hey Pick,
That frame is incredible especially after hangin' the parts on it!
We should have had build off :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48122
Your powder-coated frame would've have won hands down.

Got a similar seat and sissy bar on the way
Can't wait to see what you decide on the rest :D

BTW: the powder coated parts for the auction bike are off-the-charts cool.

Thanks Steve! I guess we have several things in common bike wise huh? I am enjoying this build as if it was for me. (still owe you for a pair of tires buddy!)

Peatbog: The 16" wheel is not a bad idea. I already have a 26" springer & I think I also have a 16" wheel. May have to see how it looks!

Thanks guys for lookin!

Scraped up a pair of 20 inch wheels & tires, for mockup. I may be able to live with the bent springer after all. Tires are off a schwinn BMX & are 20x2.125 knobbies. I think I have some smoother tires that may look better. I noticed on the back that I have room for a little bigger tire. :mrgreen: Bigger = Betta! :mrgreen: Wonder if I could fit a 2.5 on the back??? :?: 8)
jakesbikebuild005.jpg

ndaway said:
WOW I would have killed to have that when I was six..He is gonna love it!

Thanks buddy! I guess he's lucky his grandpa has a bike fetish!!! The only Walmart bikes bought in this family are for parts! :lol: :mrgreen:

pick said:
ndaway said:
WOW I would have killed to have that when I was six..He is gonna love it!

Thanks buddy! I guess he's lucky his grandpa has a bike fetish!!! The only Walmart bikes bought in this family are for parts! :lol: :mrgreen:
parts bikes.. hah about all they are good for :lol:

i think those knobbies give it an old early MX look 8)
the springer looks fine.. although if you do go with it you may wanna raise the stem an 1in or half..
just polish them bars, they look like they belong on a rat at the moment.

Hope he likes it, cause i sure do :wink:

Peatbog said:
Actually, that 24" rat trap springer you are trying to sell might fit perfect with a 16" wheel. Here is a bike I am working on with a 24" fork using a 20" back wheel and a 16" front:

chopper3.jpg
lookin good, is that a fast back?
what color / theme you going with on that build?

Thanks Iven! Actually, both the handlebar stem & the seatpost are just sittin in there for now, nothing is tight because it will probably come apart again.

Hey Pick,

pick said:
Scraped up a pair of 20 inch wheels & tires, for mockup. I may be able to live with the bent springer after all. Tires are off a schwinn BMX & are 20x2.125 knobbies. I think I have some smoother tires that may look better. I noticed on the back that I have room for a little bigger tire. :mrgreen: Bigger = Betta! :mrgreen: Wonder if I could fit a 2.5 on the back??? :?: 8)
jakesbikebuild005.jpg

Bike is looking great! 8)
Like the bent springer fork too. It "fits" this size bike.
Agree that a bigger slick is better slick
You can definitely fit a 2.5 inch on this frame :mrgreen:
Most slick widths have to do with overall width (not thread width)
I went with the Duro 2.125 and Schwinnray warned me...
It's with is 2.125 but the actual tread is closer to 1.75
Glad i went with a 1.5 up front for some contrast
CCR and Schwinnray got some big tires on theirs
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=37809&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

Good Luck!

Thanks Peatbog! I'm lookin for a fatter back tire & smoother tread for both, but we live out in the country, so I don't think a slick on the back is a good idea!

Peatbog said:
iven said:
lookin good, is that a fast back?
what color / theme you going with on that build?

It was a girl's bike. I cut the top tube off and bent another and welded it on to make it a boy's bike.
girl bike frames are pretty lame, no one wants them even my gf likes the 'boy cruiser frames more :lol:

Finally got this one done, sort of! (they are never really done are they?) Decided against the banana seat for now & went with the bobber look. Anyway it's rideable now.
show005.jpg

I think he likes it! Barefoot, in swim trunks (we don't have a pool!) & it's January! @ least he's inside.
jakobonbike002.jpg

Hey Pick,
Congrats on the Coslon! Your Grandson looks very happy. Nice Job! Unique Bike 8)
I like the purple components/silver frame color scheme. It really makes it pop! Cool Stance too!

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looks awesome pick! :D Definetly has that bobber look :mrgreen:

Thanks guys!

SCHWINNRAY69: Did you buy those stars & stripes tires yet?????

Back