50's Murray 20" (Pig Bike)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Going to build a Pig Bike from this one. :D

pig1.jpg

Please excuse my dumbness, whats a "pig bike"? Seen it refrenced like 3 times in last couple days.
Thats a sweet 20incher too man!!

schwinnless said:
Please excuse my dumbness, whats a "pig bike"? Seen it refrenced like 3 times in last couple days.
From John Brain's history http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... ory63.html

Kustom trends of 1963
For the most part kustom styling trends of 1963 were a carry-over from the previous year- that is until the new laws banning certain types of equipment came in. The homemade 20-inch high-rise bikes (called "Pig bikes" or "Scorpions" by many youngsters) grew in popularity, and once the 20-inch platform became firmly established- as the "hot" new style - the older styles based on the larger 24 and 26-inch wheeled bikes quickly began to fade.

Knowing how much detail you put into your builds Im very much looking forward to seeing how this thing turns out. Here is my Pig-ish 55 Columbia build, wish I had a tank for mine.

002-1.jpg

Bri-in-RI said:
Knowing how much detail you put into your builds Im very much looking forward to seeing how this thing turns out. Here is my Pig-ish 55 Columbia build, wish I had a tank for mine.

002-1.jpg

thats some sweet looking wheels :)

Thanks! I entered it in our build off too, but kind of like the Higgins tank bike headers. So trying to incorporate them into the paint scheme. ☺

pig1.jpg

cman said:
schwinnless said:
From John Brain's history http://bikerodnkustom5.homestead.com/br ... ory63.html

Kustom trends of 1963
For the most part kustom styling trends of 1963 were a carry-over from the previous year- that is until the new laws banning certain types of equipment came in. The homemade 20-inch high-rise bikes (called "Pig bikes" or "Scorpions" by many youngsters) grew in popularity, and once the 20-inch platform became firmly established- as the "hot" new style - the older styles based on the larger 24 and 26-inch wheeled bikes quickly began to fade.

Yeah Brain has great articles. Basically it is a Pre production 20" with Post Production styling. Brains articles show Hi Rise being custom built back into the 50's by kids in California.
In my opinion this is what a Pig Bike should resemble.

I will start a new thread for this in the Builds section soon and catalog it there as i build it.

Playing around while I wait on parts! :D
pig1-1.jpg

Jaxon said:
Those header pipes are going to really set the bike off. They look even bigger on the 20 inch tank.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back