'53 Bel Airflow Shelby: The 7th Annual OddJob Awards! Pg 22!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday we had a Top 5 summer day in the north country. 82 degrees (F) , and only about 50% dewpoint so the air was dry, with about a 5 mph breeze. Perfect day to try out the new 'bridge trail' in Minnesota's first city, Stillwater. It's a border town, lying on the west bank of the St Croix River, which separates Minnesota and Wisconsin. The two bridges, the new span that was added downstream about 2 yrs ago and the old lift bridge which has been there since 1931 which has now been converted to only foot and bicycle traffic, are the connectors for this 4 mile circuit which spends half it's length in Wisconsin and the other half in Minnesota.

We topped off the ride with lunch at the Tiki Bar downtown. Fun spot right on main street, I've played a couple times on the stage in the background.

Lee on the bridge.jpg

old bridge view.jpg

lunch at the Tiki Bar.jpg

Then I got home in time to take the '53 Bel Airflow Shelby to some favorite spots in downtown St Paul, and a new mocked up old country store / gas station spot in N St Paul, where we play our gigs at the car show on Friday nights. It serves as one of the other stages where bands play, and a fun backdrop for rat rod bikes!

234498033_940734399821565_6263083434620574000_n.jpg

I'm getting ready to put together my Finished Builds thread, and I need your help in deciding on my 'cover photo', the first one in the thread which will be the one used for the Voting Booth once it's put up on Sept 6.
If you wouldn't mind ranking your Top 3 favorites by listing the numbers of the photos in your comment, I would really appreciate it! Beauty is in the eyes of the beholders! Thanks all.

Final 1.jpg

Final 2.jpg

Final 3.jpg

Final 4.jpg

Final 5.jpg

Final 6.jpg

Final 7.jpg

Final 8.jpg

Final 9.jpg

Final 10.jpg

My first thought, #7.
The red rust colored brick compliments the green base of the bike. This pic also shows the work/features of the bike off well. The guard, the dimension of the emblems, wheelset, all show well. The light is ‘right’ too, not too bright and shadowy.
Don’t get the wrong, that general store is really cool, I just think it’s a bit ‘busy’ for a voting pic.

I love the location and contrast in #2 and #9. The difference from foreground to back drop sets the bike apart. Nice patina on the metal as well. You just need to change your angles and correct your exposure/sun issues

IMHO, the store is too cluttered, and the stone walls are too closely colored to your bike

I love the location and contrast in #2 and #9. The difference from foreground to back drop sets the bike apart. Nice patina on the metal as well. You just need to change your angles and correct your exposure/sun issues

IMHO, the store is too cluttered, and the stone walls are too closely colored to your bike
I have a jam packed next 3 weeks so I won't be getting out to take any more photos. Does knowing that change your vote(s) at all?

I actually like #1 the best, except in that pic it looks like the rear of the guard broke away from the fender.

Great backdrops. With your bike being dark, I would suggest even finding a lighter background to make it pop rather than blend in. In some of the pics, the details of the bike aren't as crisp as others. When you take your photo, try and to tap on your screen first where your guard is and that will force the camera to focus on the bike and it will also force the exposure settings to adjust for that spot too.

#10 is has the best angle to show off the overall bike.
#7 is really nice, but to me the pedals are killing some of the guard detail and the angle is a too head on to show off the guard as well.

I actually like #1 the best, except in that pic it looks like the rear of the guard broke away from the fender.

Great backdrops. With your bike being dark, I would suggest even finding a lighter background to make it pop rather than blend in. In some of the pics, the details of the bike aren't as crisp as others. When you take your photo, try and to tap on your screen first where your guard is and that will force the camera to focus on the bike and it will also force the exposure settings to adjust for that spot too.

#10 is has the best angle to show off the overall bike.
#7 is really nice, but to me the pedals are killing some of the guard detail and the angle is a too head on to show off the guard as well.
Thanks for the input. Yep, I always tap on the screen first. Again, I won't have time to take any more photos, got a super busy next 3 weeks ahead. So based on that knowledge, does it change your vote(s) at all?

I have a jam packed next 3 weeks so I won't be getting out to take any more photos. Does knowing that change your vote(s) at all?

Just saw this as I posted. If that is the case, I would not use 1,2, or 9 because of the guard rear detachment.

I think 10 may be your best overall photo but crop it in a little more on the bottom and right something like this.

1629036714749.png

My second favorite overall pic knowing you can't retake any would be #3, but I would center the bike more by cropping a little off the left.

1629036946158.png

It's a shame you can't make more time for another run of pics. Maybe you can break free at some point. The other pics are good pics, it's just to me there are lighting, shadows, angle, staging or mechanical issues that make them not ideal for a final cover pic. You've put so much cool work into the bike, hopefully you can squeeze out just a little more time.

Lighting just isn't right on any of those. So therefore: none of them give correct Justice to the bicycle.
You know, after spending a few hours on different days and traveling around the city and taking photos at different angles, and in many different locations, to hear someone say that 'lighting isn't right on any of those' and 'none of them work', isn't positive criticism. Sometimes opinions are just that, your own; and they should be kept that way, and not shared. Just sayin'.

You know, after spending a few hours on different days and traveling around the city and taking photos at different angles, and in many different locations, to hear someone say that 'lighting isn't right on any of those' and 'none of them work', isn't positive criticism. Sometimes opinions are just that, your own; and they should be kept that way, and not shared. Just sayin'.
Well I guess it's all in how a person looks at what they read. A negative person would take that as negative criticism. What I am saying, is that i know yhe bike looks better than any of those pictures are showing. The simple snapshots you took in your build thread show the bike better than any those. You asked for vote I couldn't vote for any and I had to tell you why. I thought that's what friends were for. I guess I'm just ignorant.
e4c1e85d7bbb45db637f2f39046564c6.jpg

Back