55 (or 56??) Wasp

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTV

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Found this old girl Sunday at the swap meet. Cheap, and all original. Just how I like them.
yvygyzer.jpg

I sorted out the bent seat post, swapped some Fat Franks on from another bike, and dropped the neck a little. Still needs going through, but I like it. Nice and simple. The S2's are shot, but they'll work for this, a back up girls bike.
ubehana3.jpg

I also scored a SA 3 speed with coaster brake for $15 for my '59 Traveler :)

Yep, it's perfect as a back up for the missus, or if we have company over we can all ride :)
When I plug the serial number I get this:
une8a2y4.jpg

So which one is it?!

GTV said:
Yep, it's perfect as a back up for the missus, or if we have company over we can all ride :)
When I plug the serial number I get this:
une8a2y4.jpg

So which one is it?!

It's really hard to tell on a Wasp. Being a heavy duty paper boy (girl) model, they stayed very constant over the years and didn't get cheapened down as much as the other models. There is a site with Schwinn catalogs posted in detail, You might find a clue by studying them.

To my eye, the fundamental styling of these is as good as it ever got for a girls bike. If this is her backup what is her first string? :shock:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1951 ... 55_16.html

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1951 ... 56_06.html

I don't know where you live, but you got yourself 2 products of Chicago ...from an era that is gone forever.

Not far from you... 7th Ave & Indian School. Whereabouts are you?

GTV said:
Not far from you... 7th Ave & Indian School. Whereabouts are you?

Holy crap, I had no idea! I live near 52nd St and Indian School near Arcadia High School. Did you find that Wasp here??

Very cool! We should get together sometime.
I found both of those bikes at the GCC swap held the first Sunday of every month.

I sold that same color similar condition same year chain guard on ebay early this summer for 280+ bucks. I couldnt believe it. I still can't...I mean I spent the money so I mean I CAN but still. You get ready to unload it think about ebay. There is at least one other person out there who was willing to pay 279 for it! :shock: And those tires MAKE that bike. Nice refresh on that one.

That would make for a nice flip! This one will stay though... At least until I find something better :)

I need to unload a few bikes then I can pull this one apart and polish it up, give her the attention she deserves ;)

Thanks guys! When I first bought it I considered flipping it but its just too nice not to keep it.

Latest posts

Back