57 or 58 Huffy Customliner tank bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this on craigs a while ago. First was $250, then $175. Hadn't sold for a week so I lowballed him. Still think I paid too much (again) but this is my first legit tank bike. The light internals are there, but I had no batteries to try it =)

customliner.jpg

It needs everything done. Not really even rideable right now.

I'm hoping to try to restore the paint a little on the tank and guard. If I can do that I might not paint it... Then again I could make it a pretty sick rat (can you say widowmaker :lol: )

IDK man, i think I'd pay $150 for it... I love the jet on the tank, thats just soo cool 8)

is that tape on the nose of the seat? or is it like a Mesinger thing?

still workin on this thing but I might be able to get it back together tonight =)

The quill was rusted to the fork and it looks like someone tried to tighten the headset by tightening the quill until it buldged a section of the steerer tube =/. pretty sure it's still strong enough. Stem was rusted to the steerer but I eventually got it out (creaking and moaning). Then the top headset bolt was REALLY stuck. ended up resting the frame on a table and putting the headset bolt with fork into the vise. 3 foot breaker bar between the fork legs and it finally budged. Bent the headset bolt a bit but I think I got it bent back enough to still work =).

All the bearings looks pretty good. I soaked them in simple green and am re-greasing with fresh stuff before re-assembly.

I decided to just get it back together and riding before I paint it. The frame paint really is crap and most of the chainguard lettering washed off with just soap and water. I do want to try to keep the tank graphics though so we'll see what I come up with... down the road.

Are you going to change wheels and tires? Some fat cruiser would look cool.
Yeah the seat has to go. What color are you thinking of painting it?

Quote: "most of the chainguard lettering washed off with just soap and water". yep, some of that old stuff is pretty weak. that is a cool bike, not a bad deal at all. looking forward to seeing what you do with it...

Looks like I can't fit normal 26x2.125 tires on it without rubbing =( Bummer. That'd help the looks a lot.

I tossed on an 8 button seat for the time being but still haven't taken it for a spin. I lost the two screw that hold the front light on somehow so i guess I'll be making a run to Ace sometime. The light did clean up very well though but I'm still not sure it works.

I don't have a black bike in my collection and I'm kind of thinking of going in that direction if I paint it.

<EDIT> Woot! Found the two screws over lunch. Bummer it looks like we're getting snow tonight, otherwise I'd try to take it for a cruise.

Latest posts

Back