'57 Schwinn "Krunk Junk" New shoes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That brake mount is not a million miles away from my plan for a chain stay mounted side pull caliper fixed to the side stand frame mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krunkx i dig it. As for your brake dilemma, hit the bay for 'Weinmann right angle' and it'll return these little gems designed to mount caliper brakes to (Schwinn) fender mounts. Usually about $15.

IMG_20140518_120106.jpg

Yeah right now money is tight and I got more bills than money to pay them. The dryer went out, the lateral line (sewage) needs cleaned out again, I need to fix the drain under the kitchen sink, my lawn mower is shot, it's one thing after another.

I decided that the fork needs to be stripped too to achieve the look I want so I got a can of oven cleaner and went to work. After the first coat it is looking good on the outer legs. I coated it generously and I'll wait a few hours and strip the paint off. Then hand sand it to brighten it up. I also took my dremal tool with a wire wheel to clean up the bearings, races, and bolts.

Word of advice this stuff will choke you up so use it OUTSIDE!
IMG_2792.jpg

Well my attempt at being cheap didn't work out, the cheap dollar store oven cleaner doesn't strip paint like real Easy off oven cleaner. It did soften the paint a little so it sanded off a bit easier but still had to scrape it and sand it. Bike looks MUCH better.

Today's progress: I had to go downtown and run errands so I got in time to do a shakedown ride and it went as expected except I forgot to tighten the crank so I had to tighten it back up by hand a few times. I stopped by the dollar store and picked up a little of my secret special oil for my freewheel (2 stroke engine oil) and it helped lube it up and now it is butter smooth and whisper quiet.
IMG_2796.jpg

IMG_2797.jpg

Here's part of what I had planned for the bars.
IMG_2798.jpg

On my way home I rode by a large dumpster and spotted a bike sticking out so I spun around and asked if I could grab it and they said sure so another parts bike followed me home.
IMG_2794.jpg

Should make a good parts bike for my Dyno I picked up last month.
IMG_2795.jpg

The plan is to let it rust up naturally and then clear it when the patina gets right. It is currently outside chained to my van so nature can do it's thing. Before I clear it I will peel the RRB sticker from the bars and reveal the RRB logo forever encapsulated in rust.

Just an update, yes I'm still working on it just taking a break and waiting for rust to form. Once I get the desired amount of rust then I will clear it and disassemble for tuning, grease, and final assembly.

Well it's been just a few rain showers and I'm already getting madd rust, by the time the build off ends it should have enough and I can clear this wonderful patina in. I did notice the fork and bars are rusting at a much faster rate so I might have to add a little something to the mix to accelerate the rust. I have heard a good German beer and salt work well to produce rust. It rides great though! Fast as heck for a single speed and light enough to really fly. Might end up swapping the tires for smoother tread though. Nothing like a completely rigid bike. Such a direct feel of the road. Anyway here's some pics!

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

Wow, rusting quick without extra encouragements too.
Should have that reverse mask done in plenty of time.
Great use of time and keeping costs down as well.

Yeah, keeping it outside in Indiana will do it quick! Why do you think Walmart sells so many bikes? And I find so many rusty heaps at the scrapyard.

Latest posts

Back