58 Schwinn Mark II Jaguar, Will I be able to restore it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks,

New here...and in need of some advice.

I have a guy who is wanting to sell me a 58 Schwinn Mark II Jaguar. It is missing my favorite part of the bike however, the tank.

I'm not against using reproduction parts, but even so is there a proper tank reproduction that will work for me? I see a lot of Phantom tank repros, but I heard tank design changed between 57 and 58 for the Jaguars...and I have no idea if the Phantom fits either year.

Also, It does not have any sort of back rack, the seat is shot, and the fenders are dented up pretty good.

One other weird thing, he says it is a 2 speed sturmey archer Jaguar. I thought all MKII jags were three speeds? Could he just be misinformed?

I haven't gone out and looked at it yet, just pics. Trying to get an idea on if should proceed.

I want to restore it, and ride it. I'm not afraid of reproduction parts, just not being able to complete the bike to its former glory. If I can't pull it off, I'll wait til the next deal.

Thanks for any/all advice folks, nice forum you have here!

It can always be done! If you get some pictures up here, there are folks who may have the parts you need and also to give advice along the way.

Jaguars could have come single speed, 2, or 3 speeds I believe. If it's a two-speed it'll be a Bendix hub and in '58 I think it'd still be their aviation hub but if he reads Sturmey Archer on a shifter, then it'll be a 3 speed. He might mistake it for 2 reading L N H and thinking N is neutral instead of normal :wink:

Parts for these are readily available so nothing should be too difficult to attain. Fenders will probably be stainless. Good luck with your purchase! Post pictures if you get it.

The Jaguar had the same tank style as the phantom, so the repop should work, the Panther had the different half style tank. This is from the 58 catalog. The price list showed a 3 speed, multi speed, and coaster brake. The multi speed must have been the 2 speed.

28rh5kp.jpg

Zoggy,

I think you should go for it. Please read thru my diary in the builds area that is detailing my resto on a '59 jaguar. The bike was pretty sad when I got it, and most of the parts were not correct/original. It has been fun and not too difficult. You can find what you need and learn a lot in the process.

Depending on the overall condition of the '58 you are considering, it could be a great find!

Good luck!

Hey Zog...Describe your meaning of the word RESTORE.

We are here to help.

Latest posts

Back