60's Flightliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free 60's Flightliner winter project...Anyone have more info on this bike?
MOD 502 46800OY 150407

318563_10150443342341197_582271196_10162038_940748618_n.jpg

It's a '60s Murray built 4-bar cantilever.Murray Sears,Western Auto (& maybe others)used this middle weight frame.My good friend Ponytail Mike just gave me a complete one (sans tank) with a deluxe rattrap springer last weekend...I'll try to get pics of it up soon.
To my understanding there's a host of different tank,rear rack,front end combo's that make these fun to build at a relatively low cost
for the novice & experienced builder alike.Mine came with a manual Bendix 2-speed but I'm thinking maybe a S/A coaster 3-speed or maybe even my Nexus 7-speed coaster.I really like these frames.Have fun with it & go nuts!...Pappy 8)

This frame was my first build as well, I love the rear drop outs on them fun one to ride.

I've had acouple of these through the years. Very much fun to ride and get lots of attention. Enjoy !

I restored a 1960 Flightliner a few years ago, very cool bike, mine has the Rat Trap springer front end. Sulley

1958Higgins.jpg

004-5.jpg

'MOD 502' was a Murray code, only used on Sears bikes. The next number, 4680 (0), is the catalog number, which pegs it as a 1959 'equipped' Flightliner. That mid line model had a tank/light, rear rack, but didn't have the spring fork that the 'fully equipped' model has. It did have a fake springer of sorts, with truss rods attached to the fork. -Adam

Since the frame did not come with a headset or bottom bracket, what size of each do I need to get? I have the original crank arm and sprocket, and my 1" headset I have in stock is too loose. Please help

If you ever make it to Indiana i have a headset you can have. I also have some cheap parts like a rear rack, chaingaurd, other misc stuff. I dont know the size for the headset but it came from a flightliner. I also have a spaceliner set. Let me know if you ever make it this way and ill get them out. Someone should chime in if you post in the wanted section to.

Back