62 Schwinn Typhoon, straight bars, 2 speed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked this up today, not sure what I've got in terms of original, but I like it well enough to consider it a good score.

It is purported to be a 1962 Schwinn Typhoon, seller of course claimed "all original" but this is obviously not true. Just where it is original and where it is not, I can't tell, and I don't really care as it will become a rat anyway. I'll box up the rare goodies for posterity and make it into a cruiser of my own liking.

Here's what I've got pix of:

Overall, a nice looking bike

typhoon1.jpg

No doubt on this...

typhoon9.jpg

??

typhoon3.jpg

The white graphics are not chalky at all

typhoon4.jpg

What do you think? Looks to me like somebody did a complete repaint using red primer and black spray paint, but did a pretty good job? And looks to me - as IF I would know, and I do not - that aftermarket decals were applied? Especially below looks like a decal to me.

typhoon10.jpg

Grips look vintage

typhoon8.jpg

3 red band hub - the hub still shifts "kinda" - you can feel definite slipping in high gear and decent pedal feel in low. Coaster brake works like a champ, but I don't want to use it with this bad slippage feeling. Can anyone tell me if that's a common thing in hubs of this vintage, and if it is typically fixable with repacking or if it sounds like bad news?

typhoon5.jpg

I believe the seat is right

typhoon7.jpg

The pedals are certainly aftermarket - maybe 70s or 80s?

typhoon2.jpg

Almost looks like somebody did some reasonably good hand striping touch up - this is the only obvious flaw in fender striping

typhoon6.jpg

I think it's a reasonable $150 bike...

Thanks... I went through the forum and looked at all the related postings before buying it, so I have seen a couple members have posted similar bikes. In fact, there was at least one posting of a somewhat identical black 62. This will be my daily rider once I work on it a bit.

Sorry - if my images are no longer showing, my website seems to be down... working on it.

I'm with rusty gold, one of my fav frames. Nice score! Gotta love the two speed too. Look forward to seeing what you do with it!

I have the version where the two straight bars don't connect to the rear triangle. (why'd they do that!?!)

I built up a Typhoon frame once really cool bikes, great find.
45541_3fd714794f4011dca609ee47f3e18a9c.jpg

Definitely worth $150.

I think that's original paint with just a little touch up on the pinstripes. I cleaned up a 64 American, same color, Schwinn had good paint and good chrome back then. I waxed it with paste car wax after a gentle scrubbing and it looked like new.

The rear rack is a Murray style rack, and the pedals are newer like you thought. Everything else looks original. Even the tires.

20130616_151324.jpg

I think the paint is original because of the marks on the chain guard where the cranks scraped it. Schwinn used red primer back then also. The pinstripes on the forks are correct along with the decals. From the 62 catalog:
1962_05.jpg

I would take it completely apart, clean and lube everything, find some Schwinn pedals and have a clean original 62 Typhoon. Just what I would do.

The 62 Typhoon was a one year only bike. It was the first year for the Typhoon, and the Schwinns used the cantilever frames after 62. This twin bar frame was used by a couple other models before the Typhoon for a few years before 63, the Tornado and Skipper for example. That's why I would make your bike original, it only needs pedals.

That frame is great for a klunker also, or a 26" BMX style bike. Boardwalk cruiser too.

I'm with rusty gold, one of my fav frames. Nice score! Gotta love the two speed too. Look forward to seeing what you do with it!

I have the version where the two straight bars don't connect to the rear triangle. (why'd they do that!?!)
I think they used the different bars either to save on materials or time.

I am thinking that I'll preserve all the original parts, but rat it without doing anything destructive in case I want to put it back to original after riding it a while. Carefully spread the back triangle so I can install a new 26" cruiser wheel I'm having built with a Shimano 8 speed coaster brake hub. Swap on a 27" fork with a chrome crown from a Collegiate, and use a skinnier 700c front wheel. White or cream tires. May experiment with using some skinnier chrome fenders I have, lighting the underside of the fenders with LED strips. I've got a black with yellow and red flamed banana seat and a springer sissy bar that may see use on this bike. Ape hangers. No changes to the frame itself - just polish out the rough spots and wax it.

A big muscle bike sounds good. If you're going for a wider back tire, the Typhoon's middleweight frame can hold a 26 x 2.125 but not much room left for a fender. This is a later Typhoon modded intro a big BMX:

2zso5g3.jpg

I have been down with the flu for an entire week... this has been a nasty one! Phew.

In the week leading up to the flu, I did get in some ape hangers and a red chain. I fabbed a little piece of metal to extend the height of the chain guard mount so more chain shows. I installed the flamed banana seat and springer sissy bar. I'm pretty much just waiting for the rim with the 8 speed hub to get laced up, then I'll pick some tires, and that will be about it.

Back