62 Typhoon -- quick reassemble

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought a brand new fork and headset for this a while back. I've been jonesin' to ride, have 3 bikes (all unridable) and haven't had much time free to reassemble anything. I decided to focus on the Typhoon again just to have something ready for Spring.

Before:
ry%3D400

I never really got the hang of this springerfork. I think the angle is just wrong for this bike.

A guy in Denver had some Schwinn cruisers on craig's list that inspired me to get one of these tube forks:
ry%3D400

I still need to saw down the thread end of the fork tube.

I have a piece left over from the headset. Can anyone tell me where this goes?... if it's necessary?... etc?:
ry%3D400

I'd like to loose the back fender and paint the frame. I may hold off on painting until the 24" tornado is done. Any suggestions.

looks like a lockplate/ring. goes between threaded upper bearing seat and top nut. if you can get proper adjustment and lock the seat with the top nut, you don't need it.

Thanks U-R! The threads are rough on that set. I couldn't even get that piece started -- Hopefully I can do without like you said.

We had some warm weather over the weekend -- I made sure to take my son out for a ride! I threw on a brand new back wheel (aluminum... I'm waiting for the matching front one to come in). I still haven't cut down the steer-tube, but the upper bearing seat worked out to be plenty tight without the top nut.

After everyone went to sleep, I took it out for a night ride... pure bliss! I can tell the difference riding on those new bearings! This thing flies! 8)

I see myself getting this properly squared away this weekend.

I love the bare-bones set-up on this bike... great profile too! It's as fun to look at as it is to ride! I've got a paint theme in mind. I'll be adding stuff to this one as time goes on.

ry%3D400

My wish-list for this one:
cool pedals
cool chain
front wheel
pinstriping

I'm not such a fan of these pedals:
ry%3D400

.... So I switched'm out for some new barefooties.
ry%3D400

I went ahead and sawed down the steer-tube. I was a bit nervous about screwing this up, but it was very quick and easy. For a saw-guide, I used an old upper bearing seat held in place with several wraps of heavy duct tape.
ry%3D400

Ready to ride!
ry%3D400

I'm still waiting for an aluminum front wheel to come in at the shop, but this is done for now.

Re: 62 Typhoon -- What next?

Testing out some headbadge candidates:
ry%3D400

Back