62 Typhoon replacement wheel sizes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my very first post here! I'm not new to bikes, but new to cruisers. I picked up a 62 Typhoon on Tuesday and sent it to the powder coaters the very next day. My issue is that I measured the rear frame spacing which is about 4.5", but I made the mistake of not taking measurements from the original fork. I'm trying to rush this project to be done in 2 weeks, so I want to get all the parts I need while the frame is gone for paint. I did read that most replacement wheels are a 3/8" axle for the front vs. the 5/16" that were on the for it when I got it. I quickly adjusted the fork for 3/8" before I sent it off, and I hope that wasn't a mistake. I've been reading non-stop trying to figure this out, but haven't found anything that answers my question. So....for anyone with an '62 or equivalent blade fork on a 26" Typhoon, what is the spacing on the front fork? And/or what aftermarket rims will fit in a stock fork? The only ones I could find with any decent information on them were the Nirve wheels, because they actually list hub width on their site. Will a 100mm hub fit in front? Thank you in advance, and I hope to have completed project pictures up in 2 weeks!

Hub spacing should be fine. Pretty much standard through the years on cruisers. I just put new Electra wheels on a Huffman frame/fork. You may run into a problem with the axle size on the front fork. Don't know sizes but most newer wheels have axles that are too big. A couple of options.
- Enlarge the dropout on the fork. The dropout may weaken though.
- Lightly grind/file the threads off 2 sides of the axle. Should weaken to bad as long as you don't go to far. Try a little bit at a time until you get it just right. Axles are much easier to find and cheaper to replace.

Latest posts

Back