AMF headset bearing cup removal problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a method for removing headset bearing cups when they're butted up against the edge of this thicker portion of the headtube? I tried using my smallest punch to get these bearing cups out, but I just couldn't get it to work. I also tried using a thin screwdriver, but that didn't do any better.
BftD_donor_tires_n_cups_4.jpg

The cups are very sturdy. Bang away. The only reason to remove them is for new paint. I just took a vintage Murray apart an the frame was factory painted with the cups in place. Yes, paint in the cup where the ball bearings roll. I used to think the Chinese invented using paint as bearing lube but the BMA5 were doing that long ago.

The cups are very sturdy. Bang away. The only reason to remove them is for new paint. I just took a vintage Murray apart an the frame was factory painted with the cups in place. Yes, paint in the cup where the ball bearings roll. I used to think the Chinese invented using paint as bearing lube but the BMA5 were doing that long ago.
My reason to remove them is because I have a better bike that needs them.

I've got a Murray frame with painted bearing cups too. I don't know if I got those cups out...

Latest posts

Back