63 Schwinn Typhoon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

House paint on the rims, wrong stem and chain ring (probably the whole crank)
BUT, I did a little electrical work for a friends daughter, and got the bike for FREE.
F36**** tells me its a June 1963... I'm guessing it's an American w/ red stripe bendix coaster.
I'm happy!

Carl.

If it's an American it will have a sticker on the down tube that says 100% made in USA. Also, the American had the skinny 3 piece front hub made in USA. If it has the fatter one piece hub made in Germany, it's not an American. Gary

Yeah I seen the stickers are gone... but I believe the rim is correct. The rest of the options or lack of... seem right too. Thanks for the info...

Carl.

Yeah, it's been thru some changes. I doubt that sprocket is original...
I never thought about a Typhoon...hmm.
I need a winterized rat for next year. We just got 4" of snow today,
I got nothin' that will ride in the snow. This may be my Snow Rat.

Carl.

The more I dig, the more I find... The differences are down tube stickers on the Tiger and the American with none on the Typhoon, and chrome fenders on the American. I have no fenders, but no fading or remnants from stickers either. So this probably IS a Typhoon. I never thought about a Typhoon because I've always seen straight bar Typhoons, but 63' was the first cantilever Typhoon. Nice, thanks guys.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back