64 Deluxe Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought this bike to simply clean and resell, but I made the mistake of riding it, now I can't let myself part with it. I'm going to keep the paint original, buy some decals from hyperformance and "age" them to look original. I love the seat, but I need to sell it to be able to afford an original white seat and square sissybar. I may also put the correct whitewall tires on in the future. I guess I'm going for an unrestored original look. Here's the bike as of now:
IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1844.jpg

The leopard solo polo seat is for sale if anyone is interested, just pm me.

Ya, I just rode my latest project, a '63 24" Schwinn, that I just got rideable, last night, I made a 6-speed Sting Ray out of it. I hadn't ridden a Sting Ray for MANY years, and it was so cool, I'll never not have a rideable one now. I've got a '68 Sting project on the back burner that I never have ridden, forgot what I was missing. Have fun on your build!

Got my decals from Pete today and put them on. My original plans were to "age" the decals to match the bike, but I actually like how they look as-is.
Before:
IMG_1969.jpg

After:
IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

Still to do to: Buy the correct whitewall knobby and front westwind tires, find a squareback sissy bar, and find an original white seat or just use the leopard seat I have.

Aww don't ditch the leopard seat, it's pretty groovy. :wink: It really does add a lot!

You guys may be right. I think it would all go together if I made it a fenderless stingray, I'll take pics with and without fenders and see what people think.

i like the leopard skin on the coppertones, dig the deluxe/reverse screen too :D

btw, if you ditch the fenders ive got a delxe that could use em if you cant :wink:

I actually bought one of his tiger tails for my fundraiser stingray build. CCR: the front fender is not the original razor edge, and the original rear has some dings at the edge, not sure if they're what you want.

honestly i think the fenders look good on the bike already, but the fenderless bikes do look "tougher". the paint on that thing is right down the middle, shiny enough to look nice, and just enough battlescars to look like one tough vintage bike :)

... if you decide to get rid of em, let me know and ill see what i can do. right now the one i got is completely rusted down one edge, dings would be an improvement :lol:

My next step is to buy tires, but I'm on the fence as to which ones. Should I keep the blackwall westwind up front and just put a blackwall knobby on the rear, or should I get new whitewall front and rear?
Don't mind the crude whitewall pic.
IMG_2009.jpg

64stingray.jpg

I forgot to mention price. I can get both whitewalls (knobby and front westwind) for about $72. If I was to buy the blackwalls it would be $40 for the knobby, $95 for the westwind :shock:
I'll most likely do whitewalls, but what if in the meantime I painted the old tires and did DIY copperlines :p

Forget the whitewalls they get overdone anyway, the copper pinlines look better and are original. The blackwalls look better with the colors than WWs IMO.

No love for the whitewalls huh. As odd as it sounds I have never had a custom bike with whitewalls, this was going to be my first! I might have a blackwall knobby tire coming from Dingo, I'll see how that looks before I buy the whitewalls.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the whitewall set. So hopefully I'll get the blackwall knobby also and be able to switch back and forth. As soon as these get here along with my squareback sissybar I'll be finished.

Back