'66 6th Schwinn Heavy duty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I got my 6th Schwinn of my collection today. It's a '66 Heavy Duty. Hope that's not un-lucky. The fenders and guard are dented up but a little hammer love will straighten it out and get it back in line. Seems like I'll have an every other year collection in no time. So far I have a '54, '56, '58, '60, '66, and a '68 Here's the pics he sent me of it. I'll take my own pics when I get the chain guard and fenders back on tomorrow. (Still got to go get bolts and hammer a few more dents out)

IMG_20111211_103013.jpg

IMG_20111211_103033.jpg

Also I think it was originally black, although it has been painted black that is flaking in spots and has some copper / redish color behind it. What kind of primer would they have used on this? Maybe it was black and was touched up?

When you pull the forks to lube the head bearings, check to see if the fork tube has black paint. I'll bet it does. Nice bike, the ads say the frame is heavier than the regular, but it might just be heavy duty wheels. I'm up to 4 Schwinns, 53, 63, 65, and 80, with another one on the way.

Cool find! :D I love Schwinn Canti frames :wink: I'm looking forward to seeing it with fenders 8)

Wildcat said:
When you pull the forks to lube the head bearings, check to see if the fork tube has black paint. I'll bet it does. Nice bike, the ads say the frame is heavier than the regular, but it might just be heavy duty wheels. I'm up to 4 Schwinns, 53, 63, 65, and 80, with another one on the way.

Cool, I know the wheels are heavier but I don't see anything different from my '58 American as far as the frame goes with the exception of the head badge being different.

Nice addition to your Schwinn collection :!:Those seats are comfy.Looks like you got some work ahead of you with the chainguard.Let us see it with your others when your done messin' with it.

Shipping would probably be killer, Also my fender brace on the rear is different. Thanks for the offer though.

Circa Cycles said:
Nice addition to your Schwinn collection :!:Those seats are comfy.Looks like you got some work ahead of you with the chainguard.Let us see it with your others when your done messin' with it.

Yes the seat is comfy. It's actually got enough space for my fat butt. I'll definitely get a pic of them all together when I'm done. It will require some digging though, one is buried in the back corner of my shed. And if you've seen my shed you'd know.... :lol: Also still have to pick the '60 up, a friend gave it to me and I haven't picked it up yet.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I totally understand.
Maybe I'll just wait until you restore and buy it from ya! :wink: :mrgreen:

Enjoy it, man.

Cheers,
Dr. T

What's your birthday? Wonder how close it is.

tin machine said:
Cool find any day u find vintage Schwinn.....well that is a good day 8)

What's even better is I didn't have to find it, I was trying to get rid of my Fiji road bike and PM'ed a fellow RRB member that lives close and he offered the HD in trade. Pretty even trade just this is more my flavor.

So any day you can let a bike go, have a vintage Schwinn delivered to take it's place, and talk bikes with a fellow RRB member and bike nut is a GREAT day.

tin machine said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:
September 28.
Wouldn't that be cool?
outskirtscustoms said:
What's your birthday? Wonder how close it is.
I've got a 1963 typhoon hanging in the garage u can have it if you want to pay the shipping frame crank and guard.

If Dr. T isn't I might be. What would shipping be?

As promised here's the pics with the chain guard and fenders back on. Still got some bodywork to do on them to get them perfect but I'm debating on weather to restore it or leave it kinda ratty. I'm thinking ratty.

P8240006.jpg

P8240007.jpg

P8240008.jpg

And a big group cuddle puddle here. 3 of them weren't up for the group shot, still in progress are my '54 Wasp and '56 American. And my '60 has not been picked up yet. The one on the end is my Hawthorne.
P8240019.jpg

P8240021.jpg

P8240020.jpg

Here's the American, going to do an OA bath and leave it patina'ed.
P8240022.jpg

P8240024.jpg

P8240027.jpg

And the Wasp is tucked in behind this mess
P8240014.jpg

There it is
P8240012.jpg

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I don't need it, gonna hack up the 197? I have for a project. Just thought a 66 would be a neat thing to have.

BTW, did you figure out what day it was made?

outskirtscustoms said:
If Dr. T isn't I might be. What would shipping be?

Yeah March 18, 1966 CB57835

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Looks good! :D I can't believe how well everything came out :shock:
Thanks, the Hollywood is the only one that is done, the rest still need a bit of work but that's next summer.

Back