66 Schwinn Sting Ray? Please Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this the other day and am wondering if it's a Sting Ray. The fenders and handle bars look correct. Obviously someone swapped the seat and hopefully the chain guard. The serial number starts with db22... Can anyone tell by these pics if it's a mid 60s Sting Ray? Thank you very much.

sting2_zps31ecu8xb.jpg
sting_zpsxxcdunlt.jpg

I think it's the same style frame, but the chain guard looks original by the condition of the paint, it's a Typhoon with stingray type fenders and bars .

But will 20" wheels fit that frame and not have the pedals hit the ground? The bars look correct as well...

Those look like 20" wheels on there now. It also seems like the forks have a backward bend, may need to be straightened or changed out.

I see that as well. Just asking if 20" wheels will fit a Typhoon frame and not have the pedals hit the ground. I really think this may be a Stingray with a replaced chain guard.

The paint matches, the color looks aged the same, that's why I think it's a Typhoon. They had the same frame, so someone could have changed out the chain guard, making it a Stingray. The frame itself doesn't have any features different from the 20" Typhoon frame that I know of. Same cranks also.

But will 20" wheels fit that frame and not have the pedals hit the ground? The bars look correct as well...

It would have been turned into a stingray when I was a kid. I even would have swapped out the chain guard, stuck on S-2's, a fork crown and you'd never know . [wink]

i tried to put some bigger, stingray cranks on my typhoon, the chainring would not clear the frame. other than that, I made mine look like a stingray. the bike is now long gone, but it was fun.

The first couple of years they made StingRays they used the same frame as the 20" Typhoon. The "shorty frame". Then they lengthened the frame for the StingRay for safety as it was too easy to pull wheelies. Early StingRay...short crank like the Typhoon. Later StingRays had a longer crank. Gary

Thank you all. Its for sale now. 85 bux gets it. Will post in classifieds. Thanx again!

Latest posts

Back