66' STING-RAY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Received a little early birthday money over the weekend and apparently it was meant for this.

1966 Schwinn Sting-Ray from the original owner popped up on the CL yesterday afternoon just down the road from my place.

Looks like his Dad must have replaced the wheels with the non-Schwinn variety at some point. I'm guessing it may have been in an effort to avoid the goofy Schwinn specific tire size issue. Either that or the wheels got tore up from too many wheelies and endos. :lol: It also looks like they updated the pedals to more modern Schwinn blocks at some point. Originally purchased in Kansas back in 66.

Should clean up well.

DSC_0024-8.jpg~original

DSC_0026-6.jpg~original

DSC_0028-5.jpg~original

DSC_0027-7.jpg~original

DSC_0029-6.jpg~original

DSC_0034-6.jpg~original

DSC_0025-8.jpg~original

May end up giving it the early 70s Moto treatment a la the Mel Stoutsenberger archive...

Screen-shot-2013-05-21-at-1122.jpg~original

GREAT !!!

MUST be something in the water down there - stuff like that just does not come up in NY, guessing more ( bikes,cars,whatever ) got scrapped here due to yuppie whack-jobs wanting the environment cleaner and saved.

congrats, will be watchign for it after it's rebirth

That doesn't look like the shorty frame. How long did they make the shorty frame? Just ''63-'64? The shorty frame was suicide to ride with apes and a nanner seat. Lean back just a little and pedal and you were wheelieing. (is that a word?) Longer frame made it much safer to ride. My brother and I got new ones just like yours Christmas of '65 or '66. A coppertone and a blue model J38. Lots of memories. Gary

Maybe i'm wrong but early 65 still have shorty frame, right?? (Please don't kick me, i'm still learning ray's history)

Also a question: is this handlebar the same as the one you had on your blue 64?? Thanks.

Anyway, nice find!!!! Sure you will take good care of it.

Latest posts

Back