67 RAMS HORN

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Picked up this March 1967 Schwinn Rams Horn Fastback today locally. From what I can tell everything is original minus the plastic hand grips.

The bike has Sprint hubs front and rear and a Sprint rear derailleur. Just needs a good clean up and some blue glitter bar tape and she'll be good to go.

Thankfully the tires are not cracked and the seat doesn't have a single hole or cut. My fingers are sore just looking at it, but it should be a fun project.

4sgd.jpg

jjfk.jpg

1mt9.jpg

ulnx.jpg

x4bq.jpg

uxbu.jpg

4ugc.jpg

0s03.jpg

cj0y.jpg

oaxl.jpg

qpda.jpg

puft.jpg

wdw1.jpg

i6b9.jpg

hhe4.jpg

qfrf.jpg

7e2w.jpg

6fjg.jpg

9km.JPG

Rat Rod said:
Thanks guys...looking forward to bringing it back to life. :wink:
Steve,

At some point a while back you were going to make up a "Detailing How-To" thread. I think this bike would be perfect for the job. Particulars on chrome and paint restoration would be very much appreciated!

Mike

Nice bike.
Please don't use steel wool on that bike.
Steel wool ruins chrome. Try wood bleach or a good chrome polish.

pkh1974 said:
Nice bike.
Please don't use steel wool on that bike.
Steel wool ruins chrome. Try wood bleach or a good chrome polish.

Pretty sure Steve knows better. I've seen a few bikes he's re-done. :lol:

I've played around with a few old Schwinns. :wink:

DSC_0006.jpg~original

DSC_0028-2.jpg~original

DSC_0240.jpg~original

DSC_0045.jpg~original

100_5962.jpg~original

1o1y.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg~original

scrambler001-1.jpg~original

DSC_0030-2.jpg~original

DSC_0028-1.jpg~original

DSC_0001.jpg~original

DSC_0002-2.jpg~original

DSC_0082.jpg~original

DSC_0006-4.jpg~original

DSC_0030.jpg~original

DSC_0003-1.jpg~original

DSC_0002-1.jpg~original

100_5904.jpg~original

DSC_0048.jpg~original

But you're right...steel wool isn't the best solution for this bike. Need to use something less abrasive on this one.

I'll try to document my steps as I go through this bike. :wink:

Member Queasy Rider (Jim) recommeded the following for cleaning chrome without scratching.

Gonna have to try this stuff out. :wink:

42315-large.gif

Steve, that's a stellar group of Schwinns! 8)

I just polished up a set of semi-rusty rims using 0000 steel wool and 1Z (einszett) Paint Polish from Germany....no scratching and they now sparkle like new. Works great on paint as well using ultra plush microfiber towels from Costco.

Normally I use 0000 and WD40 on chrome, but there have been times when I've noticed on certain bikes and certain parts that it has been too abrasive.

Jim swears by the copper pads and has refurbished many a Krate over the past 20 years so I'm going to see how we'll it does.

Rat Rod said:
Member Queasy Rider (Jim) recommeded the following for cleaning chrome without scratching.

Gonna have to try this stuff out. :wink:

42315-large.gif

This!

old home owner tip: mice don't like this stuff. so if you have a small hole in your floor to the basement jam a little of this in and then fill with a little expanding foam. The mice will not chew through.

a - KILLER FIND ... not sure how you do it, finding all these gems .... has to be something in the water down there moreso than for cleaning them up.

b - will be watching this for cleanup tips, we all can use a new trick .

Latest posts

Back