'68 Orange Krate Clean-up

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
My junkyard find '68 Orange Krate project is finally beginning to progress again, so I thought I should post some updated pictures. I just finished cleaning the atom hub this morning. I listed the original pogo seat post on eBay as I couldn't get it to work, and I think I like this standard Krate seatpost much better. It's getting there! I purchased the NOS Master lock off eBay... super cool! The wheels and sissybar are the only things needing repair now... then I'll have to buy some tires, brake pads, and cables (all original Schwinn) and this bike is ready to roll. I'm really excited for that day- this is the first Krate I ever owned, and not a bad score for $50! :mrgreen: This is going to be a real head turner, I think... the nice thing about it for me is that it looks comfortable and well used... it's not a show bike by any means, but along the same lines I think I should have a really good time riding it without worrying about nicks or anything of that sort. I found the pegs for the front on a late '60's folding bike I got free... those are my favorite part. The original wheels were shot... the spokes were all rusted to the point of breaking, and very loose. All that I tried to turn broke. I'm going to re-lace the wheels using nicer original Schwinn S2/S7 hoops that match the rest of the bike and NOS spokes (hopefully! :D ). I also am going to rebuild the sissybar shocks... they were rather worn out. I have them apart as of this morning. Here are the pictures:

2aesaax.jpg

r0tjjc.jpg

2kgcqw.jpg

282jo69.jpg

atoldu.jpg

AS FOUND:

2zdujrb.jpg

STILL LEFT TO DO:

Purchase NOS or lightly used brake pads for the rear caliper, purchase appropriate original or NOS cables, purchase an overload tube (mine is broken badly), purchase spokes to re-lace the wheels, actually lace the wheels, purchase an original and appropriately aged S2 rear rim, the same condition S7 front rim, and purchase NOS springs and pins for the sissybar shocks.

RawBert said:
wow, quite the project you got there. if you have not heard of http://www.hyper-formance.com/ they have all new repro/NOS parts for krates including nos spokes and sissy bar re-build parts. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks! That should prove to be a very useful resource as I begin to buy all the last parts for this "build". :mrgreen:

Back