7/8" Cone Wrench?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rear hub bearings seem to need a little snuggin' up on my '77 Corvette...
IMG_0366.jpg

Do they make a 7/8" cone wrench? Or am I going about this all wrong? :?

Yea...That's what threw me! I understand metrics for bikes like my Fuji...But the fact that I couldn't find anything SAE...I guess I'll grind a couple of O.E.B.E. wrenches to fit...Unless 18mm fits right, I know the're close...

The most common ones are 17mm-11/16's inch. or 15mm-19/32's inch. The outer nut is accessed by removing the wheel, you hold/turn the cone with the flat wrench, and tighten/loosen the lock nut with any correct size wrench. :|

the old 'official' bendix 2 sided cone wrenches were 7/8 x 47/64. i doubt most shops/folks have even seen one and use the nearest metric equivalent with no issues :) i think it's been many years since park made sae cone wrenches, maybe they show up on ebay sometimes.....?

OK... So it looks like a 19mm will fit 7/8"...17mm=11/16"...18mm=3/4...19mm=13/16 (7/8")...I shoulda' paid more attention in shop class.... :mrgreen:

I was a machinist for quite a few years. I wish we would either convert to metric or ignore it completely. Having two measuring systems is just not productive. Gary

I had a run of the 7/8" / 47/64" Bendix size cone wrenches made a year or two back. I've improved the design a bit and am thinking about making another run of them. You can get by with off-sized tools, but if you're going to be fixing a lot of Bendix hubs, it's so nice to have the right tools. If people are interested, just get in touch and you'll be first to know if and when I get more of these made. No obligation, I'm just curious how much interest there is out there.
Cheers, Geoff

"Having two measuring systems is just not productive."

And it takes up a lot of $pace in the toolbox!

I found this set of super thin wrenches at a local tool store. $25 for the set:

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

Nothing too fancy...but I've used 'em several times and they'll do the trick. :)

Latest posts

Back