700 posts later... Hey from MA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I was just looking through my posts an realized... I never posted an intro! I must have meant to and forgot. :oops: Truly sorry. So here it is.

My name is Chris and I am from Massachusetts. I have always appreciated older cars,trucks, and houses, well anything older really, having grown up with so much of that influence. My father used to be an excavation contractor, and has a huge selection of tools useful to building bikes... which is sort of what drove me into the hobby. it started with my first "barn find" 3 or 4 years ago, a 24 inch Columbia made JC higgins women's bike that a neighbor had in a shed that was soon to be demolished. He gave it to me free and I painted it (big mistake- but hey, it was my first) after having rode home on the original, super rotten Sears Allstate tires. I don't have that bike any more, but have since moved onto much better ones. 8) I am a huge fan of earlier classic rock music and I wish I grew up in the 1950's. :lol: I have always liked the styling and class of the vehicles, and more importantly, bikes of that decade. My father was always into the 70's stuff (muscle cars), I guess that just wasn't my thing. I am a high school student aspiring to be some kind of engineer or to continue on in Science some way or another. Sorry for the super late intro, here are some of the current and past builds and bikes I've owned.

First "Real" bike, '57 JCH:
2ymstft.jpg

Another early one, '69 Sears Spyder:
nmkpkp.jpg

One of my all time favorites... my 1956 Jc Higgins deluxe:
m744zb.jpg

A '4? Colson:
miicef.jpg

1965? Huffy tandem:
zl1yft.jpg

My homemade Montgomery Wards "Krate Copy":
2h4fcpc.jpg

My stretch project:
2duxgco.jpg

Update:
25hnac1.jpg

My Orange krate project:
1602ys4.jpg

(sold)

And last, the best IMO, my absolute favorite... it even tops the Higgins for me. My fully customized 1950's Deluxe Montgomery Wards Hawthorne. It is two steps away from being done for good, and is the only bike I've ever been satisfied with. It's ratty and looks like it was built in someone's backyard 50 years ago and that's the way I like it. :wink: it rides nicer than you'd expect and gets a lot of questions and second looks. It gets used almost daily.

2nurpde.jpg

2a7j693.jpg

August 11th 2009:

2dhgscm.jpg

2ele3ap.jpg

2ikxdt2.jpg

2a98c3t.jpg

21l1k4l.jpg

i5xkr6.jpg

290u1j9.jpg

2iik0hv.jpg

I figure this is a great way to spend my time and energy and that the experience never hurts. I figure I'm not doing too bad bike-wise for a teenager... And I love this site! Thanks moderators and Rat Rod for making this one killer place!

Re: 600 posts later... Hey from MA

Re-Welcome Chris, great fleet of bikes, I do think I have some of them parts and pieces now, Rick

Thanks, Rick! I think i figured out all I had in mind. I am after some handlebar-to-wheel struts though, if you have any... I'll send you a pm.

Thanks! :D I sold off everything but the Orange krate and the Hawthorne through the past several years. I wish i had kept the Spyder, the two Jc Higgins bikes and the basket from the tandem, but I've only got so much space. :( The basket... I should have kept that. Live and learn, I guess.

I have some good memories on the '57 JCH and the '69 Spyder. The Spyder was pretty well perfect aside from the paint... it had the straightest wheels I've ever cruised on, as well as the original, near mint tires. :mrgreen: I miss it.... I'll replace it someday. had I kept it, I would repaint it professionally and put on some decals... it would have passed as fully restored with not too much more than that. I only paid $75 for it, and sold it for $200 when I needed some money for the '56 JCH Deluxe. :roll:

To forget to post an intro is ok, but the fact that noone reminded you...shame on them! :lol:

That 56 JCH Deluxe is stunning, and the Colson is my second favourite of those bikes! Cool! :D

Back