73 Huffy Scout - Where to Start Maintenance? Update: Pics!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

First time poster here, also sort of a newbie in the world of biking. You couldn't get me off the .... thing when I was growing up, even learned without training wheels. I've always wanted to get back into the swing of things because I miss the sense of freedom it gave me (and in a strange way the I miss the vulnerability).

So after getting reacquainted on the cardiovascular side of things by buying a 90's era mountain bike from my neighbor, I hit up craigslist. Long story short, I purchased a 1973 Huffy Scout 10-speed. The bike is in mostly good condition (some wear and tear but mostly eked out an existence in the seller's garage). I'll toss this list up of issues I have currently, and see what you guys think the best course of action would be. Please forgive my lack of proper vocabulary:

The left brake cluster (where the brake bars are held) is loose.The spot where the grip tape was covering them has been left bare, and the entire cluster swivels to the left and right. The brake lines still work fine, however.

The shifting cables are no longer held onto the frame with their original clips. They have electrical table in their place.

The tires hold my weight fine (180 lbs.) but I'm more than positive they're worn down. They look like they need replacing.

On the aforementioned swiveling brake cluster, the nearest brake bar doesn't bring the front brake pad fully to the wheel when applying light pressure. In general the brakes seem pretty worn, but still make all the connections.

It's not as silent as it could (or should?) be.

Those are the most glaring issues I've had with the bike so far. It shifts well, rides smoothly and sits comfortably. It feels incredibly sturdy under my six foot frame, and balances my weight really well. The only other problems that persist are purely cosmetic, like light rusting here and there, likely nothing a little Naval Jelly couldn't take care of.

So any help in where to take things would be really great. I didn't really deem this to be a huge project or undertaking, so I was excited to take it on as my first bike. I didn't want to pay top dollar for something expensive. I'll try and upload some pictures tonight when I'm back from work. Thanks guys!

*edit* I have an imgur account I never use, so I threw in some pictures of the bike I took this evening. Tell me what you think!

http://flummox.imgur.com/all/

Re: 73 Huffy Scout - Where to Start Maintenance?

Hi, and welcome! My suggestions are in red.

Flummox said:
The left brake cluster (where the brake bars are held) is loose.The spot where the grip tape was covering them has been left bare, and the entire cluster swivels to the left and right. The brake lines still work fine, however. That should be a simple tightening of the metal band that holds the brake arm in place on the bar. Just look for a srew head somewhere at the base of the handle and tighten it once you have it in the place you want it. Give the opposite brake arm a tighten as well.

The shifting cables are no longer held onto the frame with their original clips. They have electrical table in their place. This is going to be a personal preference. I'm not sure what Huffy originally did to hold down cables. Tape is an answer, just not a great one. I'd go to a hardware store or automotive store and look for some sort of clamp that will suit your needs. Just be careful of anything protruding from the frame, as you don't want to get clothing or skin caught on it.

The tires hold my weight fine (180 lbs.) but I'm more than positive they're worn down. They look like they need replacing. Are they weathered/cracked? If they are the original tires the rubber has probably started to break down. If this is a commuter bike you're best with getting new tires/tubes. I'd check the trueness of the wheels while you've at it.

On the aforementioned swiveling brake cluster, the nearest brake bar doesn't bring the front brake pad fully to the wheel when applying light pressure. In general the brakes seem pretty worn, but still make all the connections. I'm assuming they are old side-pulls. They are held to the fork by a single bolt, probably 10mm. Loosen that a little. Then loosen where the cable attaches to the arm assembly. At the brake (where your hand Pulls the brake) tighten the adjustment nut all the way in. Then pull that cable all the way tight at the brake assembly and tighten it. Center the brake assembly so there is equal space between the pads and the rim, then tighten the center bolt down. Try the brake out and adjust for equal pull. It may take a few tries. You can tighten the cable using the adjustment nut at the brake arm.

It's not as silent as it could (or should?) be. You'll have to get a lot more specific where the sounds are coming from and what sounds are being made. Wheel bearings? Deraileur noise?

Re: 73 Huffy Scout - Where to Start Maintenance?

Wow Crash, so helpful! I'm going to give your advice a shot when I'm back from work. I'll have some pictures uploaded as well to supplement what I wrote, and maybe do more than words can. I'll report back soon! Thanks so much!

*edit* Pictures included in original post!

Back