76 DAN GURNEY EAGLE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
gurney.jpg

Planning to build it up like this...

gurney.jpg

Sweet 70's goodness. The bicycle boom may of hit 10 speeds most, but I think BMX was more interesting with the "new" companies producing bikes and parts. The companies were not new...just branching out from car and motorcycle roots.

Yeah...that's what I enjoy the most about the 70s BMX genre. :)

You had companies like DG, Yamaha, Webco and Kawasaki that were all motocross motorcycle companies all getting into the BMX market....mainly because they had kids who were riding.

Holy cow, you find the coolest bikes! That is very cool! I dig those rear dropouts.

What parts are on it in the ad?

Interestingly, I just scored some NOS Ashtabula 1977 cranks, and had them re-zinc'd...so :)

This seat will be going on there once it arrives.

Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 2.19.17 PM.png

I'll need to track down or fabricate some seat struts to match the ones on the ad.

The bike in the ad is probably running a set of ARAYA 20" x 2.125" wheels, Cheng Shin knobbies, chrome Dorcy box bars, Hunt Wilde MX grips, and a Three Arrows chainring.

I scored a set of reinforced Ashatbula forks off of Ebay the other day for $30 shipped. I think they arrive today.

I've seen that seat on eBay before, nice score there.

Do you have a close up of the seat struts? Troxel made some struts like that, just a loop, painted black. Unless they are two separate struts, maybe you could cut and crush the ends?

I've seen that seat on eBay before, nice score there.

Do you have a close up of the seat struts? Troxel made some struts like that, just a loop, painted black. Unless they are two separate struts, maybe you could cut and crush the ends?

Back then they sold MX seat struts that were two separate pieces and now they're not easy to find. Your suggestion of cutting a black sissy bar and flattening the ends was exactly what I was planning to do. Just trying to figure out the best way to flatten them without messing up the paint or making it look to cheesy.

I'm looking for a matching rear wheel for this bike.....an ARAYA 20" x 2.125" with a Bendix 76 or 70 coaster hub, heavy duty spokes and the raised spoke holes. @spistols had the exact wheel that I need listed back in February, but I'm thinking he probably sold it already. :doh:

Didnt' they also use that snowflake one a bit?

I found your next project. http://boise.craigslist.org/bik/5204434684.html

In the early stages...mid 70s and earlier they were mainly using Schwinn stuff or Three Arrows.

That cruiser is awesome.....unfortunately I'd have to sell my car to be able to buy the rest of the parts to build it right. :21:

That is a great, great pic. I used to teach emotional awareness and vocabulary to young people using picture flash cards.

"The emotion on this man's face is called wistful reminiscing, kids"

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back