76 MOTO-BIKE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Last December I had traded emails with a local gentleman who said that he had an original Yamaha Moto-Bike that he bought new in 1976. He said he was needing to clear out space in his garage and wanted to know if I was interested. He and I traded several emails about the bike and he sent a few photos. Somehow we never followed through on the deal and I basically forgot all about it.

Yesterday he emailed me and said that he still had the bike and wanted it gone and asked if I was still interested. I got his number this time and we spoke on the phone and I ended up going to his place today to check out the bike.

Apparently it was his 45 year old son's original bike and they bought it new from Highlands Yamaha in La Grange, Illinois back in 1976. He said he had hauled the bike all over the U.S. when they moved around with his job and kept all of the original paperwork. He was tired of keeping up with it so he was ready to sell it. I was blown away by the paperwork...even had the salesman's business cards still! :shock:

At some point down the line he had taken it to a bike shop to have them service it and they put some Maxxis tires on the bike. :cry: I removed those when I got it home and put these tires on instead. The only things missing are the orange front wheel reflector and one of the rear axle tension bolts.

So here are a few pics of the bike...

q82r.jpg

8bt0.jpg

2uow.jpg

ai5m.jpg

15it.jpg

qow8.jpg

aejq.jpg

09hx.jpg

vqsj.jpg

ej8a.jpg

hx7s.jpg

9j1g.jpg

qy6y.jpg

Threw on an original 70s Hunt Wilde plate I had...

7eow.jpg

Congrats!

Great story and great bike! You find some of the coolest stuff, congrats on another awesome find!

I dig the paperwork too, that makes the find even better doesn't it? The paper is super crisp too, very cool.

Thanks guys.

Yes, the paperwork is in amazing condition. You'd expect it to have yellowed over the years, but no sign of aging at all.

I'm as stoked about the paperwork as I am of the bike. :wink:

That is an awesome find Steve.

I wonder if Uncle Stretch could make you a 26" version to match from a Worksman frame from Chuck, his tubing bender,new lathe and leftover springs from his Honda........ :grin:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back