800 miles and 5 more bikes! (including my Dad's first bike)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a rental car this weekend. The main reason was to go visit loved ones, friends, and family. But of course I also used it to go pick up some bikes. First I drove for an hour through blizzard conditions to go get those 50's Columbia's that had been on the Hartford CL. They had belonged to a brother and sister in the family and had been sitting in the basement for 40 years. I promised to keep them together. They are a cute duo, but the girl's bike is definitely way more beat-up than the boy's bike. Isn't it usually the other way around?

2293570180_37f8d007a0.jpg

2292786091_dc6fc3ae79.jpg

2292786779_573e31fc61_b.jpg

2292787281_1d4e6da57f_b.jpg

I think the boy's bike is going to be especially nice to fix up.
2292787835_f8abda82b8.jpg

After dropping off the bikes back at my apartment I continued driving (in blizzard conditions) up to Rochester, with a brief stop at my brother's in Albany to ride out the storm and rush hour. Once in Rochester I was able to pick up the '67 Western Flyer 3-Speed that my friend Killmore had grabbed from a local seller for me while I was out of town. It was in such great condition that I was able to take it out on a cruise!

2291881454_dc3e8ef685.jpg

I am (in orange) riding the Western Flyer, my buddy Nick is (in red) riding Killmore's '64 Rollfast. They have the same exact frame, down to the little "Genuine English Light Weight" emblem. Here are the close-ups of the Western Flyer:

2292788461_d4318b5f79.jpg

2292789221_4c28b7ff48_b.jpg

I think this thing is already pretty rat. Does anybody know if that Bendix 3-speed stick shift would have come installed on a Sturmy-Archer?

I packed the Western Flyer but left room in the car (even though I still have a couple old bikes sitting in Killmore's basement), because on my way back through Albany, I picked up my brother and we went up to Glens Falls to my Aunt and Uncle's place to retrieve my father's first bicycle. My aunt had sent an email a couple of months ago saying it was still there, hanging in the back of the garage. I had never seen it but all I knew was that it had to be at least 50 years old. It was hanging on the back wall of a pitch black full garage, behind furniture and refrigerators and stuff. My cousin had to climb over everything, my brother climbing halfway across the pile with the flashlight, and me climbing behind just to see. I was trying to take a picture of the scene, and get a glimpse of the bike, where my brother was shining the flashlight. All I could see was part of a red cantilevered frame, chrome fender, balloon tire... :shock: it was about this point I dropped the camera and it fell into the darkness beneath the lawnmower I was standing on. I tried to step down to look for it and somehow knocked over a can of gasoline sitting on top of the mower. Then I was scrambling to pick up the gas can and find my camera. The camera was busted, battery door broken off. Good thing it was just the cheap digital point-and-shoot and not the 10D. At that moment my brother was trying hand a bicycle back to me, to take out of the garage.

2292791115_787d0d44ec.jpg

I can't tell what it is exactly, but it does have a Hawthorne seat. Hard to tell what's original.
2293575826_a11a405d8c_b.jpg

The reflective tape has got to go, but otherwise I don't plan to alter the bike in any way. Just give it the thorough treatment and get it rolling again, that's all it needs. By the way, anyone ever see this before?:
2293576128_a84c4420fb_b.jpg

One more bike. This was in the basement with the Columbia's. The guy was like, I'll throw that little kid's bike in for $5.
2293577150_f36dbacb50.jpg

Why not? Maybe one of the neighbor's kids needs a bike. If not... there is a kids bike build off going on...

So that was the weekend, here is the haul:

2293578888_41877f9712.jpg

And what my living room now looks like...

2293579500_13bb5e25bc.jpg

this is getting out of hand... :lol:

Getting out of hand! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , Nice finds! With all that driving maybe you should think about buying a plane. :roll:

JoeyMac said:
tnt1 said:
Joey mac your dads bike says schwinn on head badge g/l Tony 8)

Now that you mention it, I can make out the "N" from the Schwinn Logo. Good catch. But there is no headbadge, that is right on the frame, I think. Unless there is just a lot of paint over it.
Alot of paint apparently

But...i love your livingroom...Its like my room...but MORE bikes

Edit-nevermind...theres no headbadge...that screw messed me up

look on the left side drop out and it should have a serial # on it. looks like the paint crept behing the schwinn badge to me.

Good advice! I had been so tired when I got back from my trip and too busy to take a good look at any of the bikes. On closer inspection and a little cleaning this is what I found:

2295839336_2d2b745837.jpg

2295046709_3af032b5e6.jpg

Serial number 7E40917

2295841064_f88b5ae9d2_b.jpg

Definitely no headbadge there. But one had been there when the bike was repainted (dang it).

2295047547_b2a826b109_b.jpg

F. & S. E Komet Super 161 36
This was hidden by some grime. What does it mean?

2295840320_1a5e93a6cb.jpg

Now this crank looks like the cranks on the Columbia's...

2293575462_58af49024f.jpg

And this is definitely a Hawthorne Saddle

2292791115_787d0d44ec.jpg

So this at least means that the bike was probably already a used mishmash of parts when my dad got it, just like my first bicycle (the silver bullet).

2271927630_041b3cb7ed.jpg

I guess the riding-rat-rods thing is in my blood.

I'm bumping this because I am still trying to find out some more info about my dad's Schwinn. I took a look and there were a couple more numbers in the serial that were hidden behind the fender straps. 7E40917. Anyone have a year?

Also, it was suggested that the Boy's Columbia might actually be from the early 60s because the Columbia's had forged fork crowns until the 60's. And I saw a picture on of a Columbia like mine that had a tank, can anyone tell me if my bike is supposed to have one, and maybe have a year? Serial for that is B 98153. Any info would be appreciated, thanks guys!

nah, thanks, but I plan to keep this bike just as it was when my Dad used to ride on it. The only treatment it is getting is a thorough cleaning and lube. Good news though, last night I tried pumping up the tires and they still hold air. They might still be good for cruising!

haha your place is looking like mine bikes all over the living, tried coping with bicycle chaos and stuck a couple of my favorites in my bedroom :p

last night i was walking to the bathroom in the dark and tripped over some handlebars i had on the floor.

Back