80's love?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently picked up a Murray high flight at a swapmeet. Its hokey has some goofy colors, and plastic fenders. Its probably mass produced but still kinda fun. Got me wondering though, if anyone out there has any love for bikes from the 80's?

Last edited:
I've always been partial to the huffy sigma and warp factor 5 because of the cool wheel disks. Not much for riding them tho, one reason is I'm to tall, the other is cuz I nearly lost an eye as a kid when the rear hub of my sigma blew apart at a fairly high speed.

I think they're interesting, just not my cup of coffee though.

If you want to save an 80's bike, I have a Roadmaster LTX BMX bike I'm not sure what to do with.

The 80s.... weird times. Many of our favorite manufacturers were singing their swan songs in the 1980s, and none of the old-timey USA factories survives past the 90s.... in the 80s, they were scramblin' hard, trying to stay alive, and churning out some heavy bikes, made to a thin nickel. However, as someone who was 3 in 1980, i have a soft spot for the style and feel of 1980s bikes, especially the cheaper Murrays and Huffies that were more common in my blue collar neighborhood. I think they look cool, and a lot of the budget-minded cost-cutting decisions in terms of component spec and frame construction don't bother me, as i see them more as a strategy for the makers' very survival. Yeah, it blows me away when i compare the stays/dropout juncture of an 80s Murray to the import competition from the same era, but when you consider that they were paying folks hourly, and you consider what they were paying here vs Japan or Taiwan, it all begins to make sense.... they had to hurry the process along, for sure.

Now, as an old guy, i have a huge appreciation for higher-end 80s bikes, roadies and mtbs, especially steel ones from Japan. To me, these represent the apex of sensible, high-quality, reasonably-priced steel bikes, before aluminum and CF took over and durability suffered. Beautiful lugged chromoly frames with common standards (BSC bb shells, 1x24tpi headsets, 126mm rear spacing, 7/8" stems) can be had for a song, and they were even cheaper 10 years ago. Great bikes, great prices.

Hey this is great! I love all the feedback.
As a new and unintentional collector the fun thing about the 80's bikes is that I have several that have been getting dusty in then barn since I was a kid. Also the Murray I just bought was super cheap. They're a nice place to start but I'm leaving room in the barn for something real nice. Just dont know what it is yet.

Gunna try to get the pic thing figured out today and send out some "totally awsome" pics of the new toy

Just checked out the roadmaster bmx. Pretty wild. Maybe even to out there for me

Now, as an old guy, i have a huge appreciation for higher-end 80s bikes, roadies and mtbs, especially steel ones from Japan. To me, these represent the apex of sensible, high-quality, reasonably-priced steel bikes, before aluminum and CF took over and durability suffered. Beautiful lugged chromoly frames with common standards (BSC bb shells, 1x24tpi headsets, 126mm rear spacing, 7/8" stems) can be had for a song, and they were even cheaper 10 years ago. Great bikes, great prices.
Well said! The only reason the prices are going up on them is that more people are realising that fact too...

Luke.

Going to try and get a photo on here. The sun is setting not sure how good they turned out.

Back