96 Murray USA 6 sp cruiser/klunker - 1st build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got this 1996 Murray from CL a couple of months ago and finally gathered the parts needed for a cruiser/klunker style makeover...

IMGP0744.jpg

It was stored in a garage and not used much, so the OG paint and all the other parts are in great condition

Here's a progress picture - removed the chain guard, added the Viscount comfort saddle, fluted alloy seatpost, alloy quick-release seatpost clamp bolt, alloy BMX stem, alloy motorcycle handlebars, alloy thumb shifter, alloy quick-release caliper brakes and alloy brake levers (so far)

IMGP0879.jpg

Re: 96 Murray USA 6 sp beach cruiser - 1st build

Kool. I'd say it's a klunker (as in the cruiser based off road klunkers that evolved into mountain bikes)

Update on the Murray cruiser/klunker... tonight I installed a Mongoose freestyle BMX three piece crankset (retained the original chainwheel for chain compatibility - may change it later), Mongoose BMX alloy platform style pedals, plus a gold ano alloy wheelset and tires from an 80's MTB for a mock up (I probably won't keep these on there - I have another silver ano alloy wheelset and different tires I want to use)

IMGP0881.jpg

IMGP0883.jpg

Getting there!

Cool bike !!! Bet it would look cool with a bmx style fork , looks like your having fun :!: :wink:

wheelbender6 said:
Kool. I'd say it's a klunker (as in the cruiser based off road klunkers that evolved into mountain bikes)

Yes, I'm definitely going for a BMX cruiser / hybrid klunker look with this build

billybikeKID said:
Cool bike !!! Bet it would look cool with a bmx style fork , looks like your having fun :!: :wink:

It is fun and a great learning experience for me - and for my 12 yr old son who's been helping!

I've got several 26" BMX style rigid forks laying around, so I might swap one out with the stock Murray fork (which looks like it's a Wald)

I also wanted to use a lightweight square taper alloy crankset on this bike, but would need a conversion BB (or install a Euro BB adapter)

Those freestyle cranks are heavy!

tin machine said:
looks cool and clean , you do know alot about bikes , perfect fit you and ratrodbikes , i checked on that adapter at university cycles , john one of the owners says its a low dollar item , and they can get it 850-222-1665 great guys down there , and they are ratrodbikes fans , and i do think that a bmx style fork would give it a mean look , looking good :!: :!:

Thanks, tin!

I made a bit more progress on it after work this evening.... I installed a silver alloy wheelset donated from a 1996 Schwinn Frontier GS, and a lightly used set of classic Panaracer Smoke / Dart skinwall tires - adjusted the derailleur and brakes, then took it for short test run. Rides way better and feels much more solid than its original beach cruiser configuration. Still got some more to do but... Sweet!

IMGP0899.jpg

billybikeKID said:
cool build , coming along well , maybe I could do some kind of build ? kinda new to this !!! :idea:

Bikes aren't that complicated - they can be quirky, though.

Lots of different sizes, standards, etc. depending on the types of bikes you're working on.

Still, if you're handy with tools and are OK at light mechanical work, you can do this!

Learn as much as you can from sites like this and give it a try

Sheldon Brown's website is a great resource, too

Finished it early this morning - installed some WTB grips and the crossbar that came with the aluminum motorcyle handlebars.

I will probably swap the crankset out sometime later for a set that is lighter than these BMX cranks are, though.

Went on a nice ride with my kids today, too. This turned out to be a really decent bike - feels great! Weighs about 34 lbs.

IMGP0902.jpg

IMGP0903.jpg

IMGP0901.jpg

Turned out great, love those Murray frames, I have one, great rider, those knobbies really set if off.

Thanks guys, I've had fun putting this first build together and it did turn out to be a very nice riding bike - got several more projects in the pipeline already!

I have one of these in pieces in the shop and now I want to build it similar to yours. Thanks for the motivation!

Latest posts

Back