96? Schwinn Cruiser Six

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Picked this up today. My little bit of research shows this model was made in 96, 98, and 99. That may not be right but it's all I found so far. The serial has a 96 at the beginning, so I'm guessing 1996. It doesn't match the colors they made these in, but they aren't Chicago Schwinns, who knows if the info is good. It's pretty rusty but is rideable. I'll go through the whole thing to see if any chrome is still good.
DSCI0049.JPG

DSCI0048.JPG

It has the second century decal, maybe it's a 95?

DSCI0043.JPG

DSCI0052.JPG
DSCI0041.JPG

Got a couple of those Giant built Schwinn ballooners - those bikes are tanks! :thumbsup:
I can't find any definite info on this, the serial number is on the bb, which is supposed to be a 95, but there's too much conflicting info to know. This will get cleaned up, keeping all the stickers and things to show it's history, beaches in California and Hawaii. The last six years it was ridden on the North Shore here in Oahu. The only thing too far gone is the seatpost, looks ready to give out.
DSCI0047.JPG

Salt air tough on stuff. Is that post stuck? :(

I haven't tried to take it apart yet. I don't hold out much hope for it though. I'll wire brush the chrome stuff and see how bad they are.

I still have to put a chain on my Dyno first, then work on my build off bike. I'm lucky the salt didn't get to them like the Schwinn. How I don't know. But with 6 speeds, this will probably be my "Go to" cruiser.

I need to find a place to work on and keep my bikes too. The new place I'm moving to doesn't have any space for bikes.

I did some work on it, new bars leftover from a Walmart cruiser, and fresh tires from the same. I found a date code on the headbadge.
DSCI0049.JPG

So it is a 96. The first 2 numbers in the serial number are 96 also. I think I'll get it shifting and riding good and leave the rusty look, with just a cleanup, no touch up paint.

DSCI0047.JPG

Latest posts

Back