A 19** Schwinn Whatzit.(DX - couple new pics added)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Nice guy on CL put me and this bike together this evening. He Had it at reasonable (i thought) $100 and I had $65 to spend. I told him I had to be honest with him that if held out for a day or so and he would get the $100 or close to it and that I knew he had just posted it so people would be calling. We talked and he said it wasn't so much about the money and then asked me to come up a touch, I did, $5 more bucks. Done deal. It has been powder coated and all the dirt and scratches in the pics should buff out or dust off. Haven't looked for a # yet but can anyone tell me what this may be and what parts are right / missing / wrong to the bike? Maybe a Panther? Could be the Chain Guard is the only thing Schwinn for all I know! :p <----- not an expert

Untitled by buck50sdelt, on Flickr

Re: A 19** Schwinn Whatzit.

Pedals look wrong. Stem looks wrong. Rims Look wrong. Seat is UH'wrong, Shimano hub = wrong. Kick stand - removed. Thats the parts of the thing, a lot are wrong. But as a whole it is growin on me by the minute. I feel like a tank might really set this off. Hopefully this model had one and hopefully one will fall into my lap in three two one...probably not.

Dusted off. Paint looks nice and shiny!

*pls advise if I am wrong about my wrongs.

ratina said:
...Sprocket is from a Monark. I bet the headbadge is newer also....

I have always loved those sprockets. Glad to have one. And I guess that makes me one part closer to having a Monark too, so half-full! HA! Yes, I think the head badge is new. All the other bikes I keep in my apt. two flights up. It will be nice to finally have a bike I can keep in the shed and not lug up and down stairs!

heyslugger said:
ratina said:
...Sprocket is from a Monark. I bet the headbadge is newer also....

I have always loved those sprockets. Glad to have one. And I guess that makes me one part closer to having a Monark too, so half-full! HA! Yes, I think the head badge is new. All the other bikes I keep in my apt. two flights up. It will be nice to finally have a bike I can keep in the shed and not lug up and down stairs!

It cleaned up great! I would ride it as is, it looks great!

It's a Schwinn DX frame/fork. Repop tanks are on the bay for $95 I believe? Would really fill out the frame nicely. The rest of the parts aren't correct but neither is a powdercoat finish so build it, ride it, enjoy it!

Great buy :!: If it were mine,I'd remove the wheels and check to make sure all the bearings were lubed and adjusted properly.Then use Meguire's 3 step detailing products to deep clean,polish and a couple coats of carnuba wax all the paint.Polish the chrome and reassemble.Add parts to suit my taste and ride the snot out of it while looking for a suitable tank and Schwinn decal for the chain guard.Sweet bike 8) Enjoy :!:

Circa Cycles said:
Great buy :!: Meguire's 3 step detailing products to deep clean,polish and a couple coats of carnuba wax all the paint... :!:

Never tried the three step wax. I think this might be the one where I give it a shot! Cheers :!:

I love this stuff!It's amazing what it can do.Take your time and work it in real good.Especially the paint cleaner.It removes stains,oxidation,overspray and road grime,adds oils to the paint and makes scratches less visible.The polish and wax add shine and protection and make the paint look deep enough to stick your finger in.Have someone ride it around in the sun so you can admire it when you're done.The shine will make people's head spin 8) 8)

I think you did good for the price you paid. To me, the head tube looks longer than normal, or maybe the headbadge is smaller?

Nice find! :mrgreen: You got a great deal! :wink:

B607 said:
Tank, light, and rack...and you will have a super nice bike. I like the black and maroon colors with the chainguard tying them together. Maple Island Sales used to have the DX tanks for $125. They were also listed on ebay for quite some time. Here's the link to the tanks. Gary
http://mapleislandsales.com/search_resultlist.php?category=Tanks&Submit=Submit+Query

Thanks Gary. I have been looking at those tanks all day! I got it new bars and a dummy light thingy i made on there and then got it back on the road today, or rather my buddy got it on the road for the test drive today. I'll add the pics if I end up with one of those tanks!

Latest posts

Back