A 1936 Mercury is getting a new life.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this project back in January and it has proven to be the most challenging rebuild I have done. I have built and restored several modern and vintage mountain bikes but never anything this old. I have always wanted to do a retro mod klunker so when this popped up on Craigslist for a song I had to grab it.

This was the day I got it.
IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

First things first. Gotta get that badge cleaned up.
IMG_0624.jpg

After lots of consideration I chose a path for the build. I decided I wanted a bike that can handle my morning commute with style and allow me to take the off road route through my local canyon on the way home. There are plenty of hills so I wanted gears but I wanted low maintenence with a nice clean look. I am also used to modern hydro disk brakes so I wanted front and rear brakes with plenty of power.

Here it is during a mock up build to test fit and cold set the rear spacing to handle 135 mm hubs and check the frame alignment.
IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3840.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3848.jpg

IMG_3847.jpg

IMG_3849.jpg

IMG_3850.jpg

IMG_3851.jpg

After the fit test I opted for an inexpensive powdercoat for durability as I intend to take this bike off road. Here are some pics of its current condition.
IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

I used a TruVative bmx to english bottom bracket adaptor with a Shimano UN-72 bottom bracket. The cranks are 172.5mm Electra TA copies with an FSA 42 tooth ring and double bash guard. The truss rods are off an old schwinn and needed to be trimmed a bit. The rest of the build will consist of:
Shimano Nexus 8-speed internal geared hub with a roller brake on Araya 7x rim.
Sturmey Archer 70mm drum brake hub on Pro Stock rim up front.
Magura Moto style brake levers.
Skull Skates moto handlebars.
Pro Neck 2 stem.
Brooks b-72 saddle
Suntour xc-2 pedals

Still have lots of work left. There have been lots of challenges. The bottom bracket adaptor had to be milled to fit. Finding a proper headset, and cold setting the frame was a little scary but I think this will be a great daily rider.

Electra's site is having trouble when you try to view the crank sets.

I'm guessing those set you back a pretty penny considering they want $299 for a set of hubs.

Your part selection reminds me a little of the Schwinn I built last year....only yours has more class. :lol:

bc1.jpg

Rat Rod said:
Your part selection reminds me a little of the Schwinn I built last year....only yours has more class. :lol:

bc1.jpg
That bike was actually one of the bikes I looked at for inspiration. I really like the matte finish and the simplicity of the build. For this one all the parts I have are silver or chrome so I thought straight black with lots of shiny parts would look cool. The cranks were actually priced very reasonably considering the quality. I got them at a bike show for $160 with no sales tax or shipping. I assume the final price will be considerably higher. I don't know how they ride yet but the workmanship is nice.

This bike is going to be a tank. I suspect the build weight will be close to 35 pounds. Good for training, I will ride this to a from work all week and then jump on my 26.5 pound Ellsworth Epiphany for my weekend rides.

Made some progress. Still waiting on handlebars. The fork is a little tired so I may go with a chrome Tange cruiser fork if I can find one. I like the truss rod look but I do intend to use this bike off road. Once the bars arrive I will be able to continue. Oh and before you ask, yes I am going to cut the post.
IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

This is gotta be one of thee sickest frames I've sever seen in my life!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: How are those tires working out? Looks tight!

Half Link said:
Did you say “Off Road” :shock: :shock: That bike is turning out Amazing!!

Very nice detail work. Great job! :mrgreen:
Yes, it will see some light trail duty. I will leave the heavy drops, hucks and downhills to my Ellsworth. Main use will be my daily commute which is 7 miles in the morning on the road and 9 miles in the afternoon on the trail. Sure I could just get a hybrid or just keep using my mountain bike but wheres the fun in that? I just think of it as training, a few weeks of climbing hills on this should whip me into shape.

I am not so sure about the gearing but the nexus hub came with 3 different cogs to use and they are very easy to change.

deorman said:
Yeah, those bikes are pretty tough, but not airborne tough. :mrgreen: I'd guess those cool looking rear dropouts are the weakest link. :| Shore iz purdy. 8)
Yeah if it is gonna break anywhere that will be the place. The great thing about steel is it can be fixed. heck I only paid $65 for the frame and all the parts. I sold the morrow hub on the bay for over $70 and paid $80 for the powder coat so if it breaks I don't have alot to loose. Sure would be a shame though. Don't worry, I won't beat on her too hard.

Seems like in reading some of the Mt Tam and other accounts the main failures were forks(some of this was due to the soft 5/16" axles) and welds in the main triangle. Very soft steel all around, flat forged forks are especially weak definitely want some struts to reinforce them.

Changing out the fork is pretty much a given when going performance with an older bike. Like you say, flat forks can be fairly soft, and therefore prone to sideways deflection. Some trusses help, but a lot of them are just window dressing that do nothing. Those upgraded wheels will probably help as much or more. As far as the frame welds go, some are definitely stronger than others. I've only seen one of this specific frame in my life, it seemed to be quite robust.

deorman said:
Changing out the fork is pretty much a given when going performance with an older bike. Like you say, flat forks can be fairly soft, and therefore prone to sideways deflection. Some trusses help, but a lot of them are just window dressing that do nothing. Those upgraded wheels will probably help as much or more. As far as the frame welds go, some are definitely stronger than others. I've only seen one of this specific frame in my life, it seemed to be quite robust.
The wheels on this thing came out super stiff. As soon as I can find a decent chrome fork like a Tange or Cooks it will most likely change out the forged one. The truss rods on it now offer no additional support in this configuration, strictly for the look at this point. I really don't forsee any problems with the frame. It is built like a tank.

Back