A 2010

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: A 2010 Raleigh Bomber.

Nice looking bike. Love the gold annodized on the black.

Solid bike, worthy of the name "bomber" 8) I think I would ditch the plastic chainguard though.

I like the tire patern a lot, what brand/type/size are those ?

great looking bike man.

Im still new to all of this guys- what is a "bomber" what makes it?

Raleigh rules :)
love the tires and the anodised parts man

Hi

Thanks for the comments.

Ace! The tyres are made by MEGHNA (57-559) 26 x 2.125.
Pepper - Raleigh is the manufacturer, an English company that have made cycles for a long time.

The thing is that i try and stay off the roads preferring to stick to tracks and lanes, so the tyres probably wont last long. Though i've seen some cool knobblies with a red line around. Which i think will look good for no other reason than I collect Hot Wheels cars. It's just putting your personal stamp on your bike!

Mark

Im sorry I didn't explain very well.

What makes a bike a "bomber" Ive heard that term before.

I may not have this correct, but I've always thought that the term meant a single speed bike designed to bomb down hills....very quickly.

Rat Rod said:
I may not have this correct, but I've always thought that the term meant a single speed bike designed to bomb down hills....very quickly.
"Very qickly"

Thats what I was think kind of thinking- I think I first heard the term in the Klunker documentary.

Big wheels, SS, and good brakes it sounds like

If Rat Rod's definition of "bomber" is NOT accurate, I'm personally accepting it anyway. I like it!

Hmmmm

The definition of bomber could be a whole new thread?
Raleigh around the time had several bikes out with 'tough' sounding names such as Striker, Grifter, Boxer, Commando etc. I reckon it was called Bomber as a fitting name?

Though indeed as per Ratrods comments it could easily fit into the 'Bomber' category even if it was called something else? It's called a Bomber and it is a Bomber?

I watched the Klunker documentary again the dudes were talking about what they used to call what they did- Klunking, bombing and some other names.

pepper said:
Im sorry I didn't explain very well.

What makes a bike a "bomber" Ive heard that term before.

If I recall correctly, Klunkerz have gears and Bombers don't, typically Bombers had coaster brakes but not always.

While "Klunkers" with a K is a specific term for built on a ballooner frame MTB, it clearly is based on the "clunker" description given to old bikes, cars, etc. that tend to rattle and "clunk" from play in their well worn systems. Likewise the term "bomber", usually applied to something old and heavy, and built strong enough to have survived hard and even abusive use. It's gotten wrapped into the term "dive bombing", the practice of gaining momentum going down into ditches, creek beds, culverts or what-have-you, in order to make it through and back up on the other side. While dive bombing works quite well with MTB's and "Klunkers", I've never known "bomber" to be applied to anything bicycle-wise but heavy old well used coaster bikes with balloons or knobbies. Both these terms have been around my entire life, let's just say I'm old enough to remember when cars with fins were new. :mrgreen:

Back