A beautiful day Again! 12-16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipton

Come out and ride with The Chicago TailDraggers!
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I thought when the snow came on Saturday I would not ride Bluex again tell spring
But today was beautiful
Sunny and 21 degrees when I left for work at 1pm, Roads and bike path dry
had a great ride down the Lakefront path with a strong 10 to 20 MPH tail wind :mrgreen:
took some pics at the same spot that I took my photo contest pic

two weeks ago....
buildoffbike5033.jpg

Today...
4seasons005.jpg

4seasons003.jpg

4seasons013.jpg

4seasons002.jpg

Not a cloud in the sky except those on the horizon in the last pic..... lake effect snow over Michigan and Indiana :roll:
In some ways riding in the winter is best. I had the lake path all to myself!
ride home was good but a little harder work.....10 to 15 MPH head win and 15 degrees :shock: :wink:

Re: A beautiful day!

I remember that cold stuff from my days in Schaumburg...I don't miss it. :lol:

Great photos! :wink:

Nice! Do they plow the path? here is our path on monday morning.
1206000729.jpg

By xc204 at 2010-12-06

Nice pics....
21 degrees wow can't say I've seen 21 @ 1pm in a long time if @ all.. :lol:

UTR1 said:
Nice pics....
21 degrees wow can't say I've seen 21 @ 1pm in a long time if @ all.. :lol:
Thanks...
:lol: Can't say I have ever seen 110 degrees :wink:

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Skipton,
I'd say that's a 'crisp and clear' day. Let's hope you're not pedaling into that 10 -20 MPH headwind on the way home.

Stay warm...

Cheers!
Dr. T
Thanks.....the real bummer is when you have a 20 MPH headwind both ways :shock: :roll:
XC204 said:
Nice! Do they plow the path?
Gary
I am amazed that in the "deep pocket" suburbs you guys have to plow the bike path youself :shock:
the city plows and salts the path just as fast has they do the streets...last year I worked the 6am shift and would leave the house at 5am. After a late night snow fall,
and the path was plowed and salted already :D

We got a little less snow then you on Saturday, Maybe four inches
This is what the path looked like on Tuesday
4seasons002.jpg

Even after four days the path still has lots! of salt on it.
4seasons012.jpg

That's salt not snow......looks like I just did Speedweek @ Bonneville :wink:

Just for fun!...A 15 sec. video I took today right before getting to work

Is my jacket bright enough?

Nice ! Oh and that would be "Deep pockets -Shallow brains" They the forest preserve heads had a fit when Dave started plowing, actually it took 2 yrs to figure out that it was being plowed! but when they found out the didnt want him doing it
We got a bunch of walkers ,joggers and xcountry skiers to call the Forest Preserve. They backed down and said they would "study" the problem. The Problem is them they would rather people not inconvenience them by using the parks.

XC204 said:
Nice ! Oh and that would be "Deep pockets -Shallow brains"
LOL :mrgreen:
Hope to get some photos of really big waves on Sunday....NE wind at over 40 MPH....That is if I can stay up right :roll:

Wow man, that headlight is huge, I love it! Also the seat position is awesome but doesn't it make it really light in the front? I know what you mean about the road salt, around here we either get WAY too much or none where it's needed. The bike path looks like an ice ring, and the main roads look like salt flats. Time to build a drift bike and a salt flat racer......lol :mrgreen:

I would love to ride in the snow.... it be nice to see some seasons. In cali we complain when it gets under 60

chagovatoloco said:
I would love to ride in the snow.... it be nice to see some seasons. In cali we complain when it gets under 60

must be nice, I hate winter. Too cold to build anything. and I don't have a garage just a small shed and it's already packed with bikes. I'm eventually going to build another shed to use strictly as a winter workspace with a wood stove in the corner.

outskirtscustoms said:
Wow man, that headlight is huge, I love it! Also the seat position is awesome but doesn't it make it really light in the front? I know what you mean about the road salt, around here we either get WAY too much or none where it's needed. The bike path looks like an ice ring, and the main roads look like salt flats. Time to build a drift bike and a salt flat racer......lol :mrgreen:
Thanks man!
The bike is not as light in the front as you would think.....Check out the video on page 1 of my finished Build Off post
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29463&start=0
That being said, Yesterday was definitely the last time tell spring.for Bluex Not a bike made for snow I could feel the tire slipping in the corners just from being so cold. :shock:

chagovatoloco said:
I do like the seasons, and riding in the snow can be real fun!
They are talking about a snow storm Sunday....we will see. :wink:
Time to get this bike and the homemade studded tire ready :roll:
blackbike007-1.jpg

blackbike012.jpg

cman said:
Do you have a tire liner inside backing those screws
Yep!
I got the tire from a Kenda weekly special for 5 0r 6 bucks last year
I have less the $3.00 in screws
just got a new liner and tube for my LBS today....
blackbike006-3.jpg

Yes that is one tube in that box!
blackbike001-3.jpg

blackbike003-3.jpg

These Thorn resistant tubes are super heavy duty! 4.33mm thick! :shock:
I did get a couple flats late last year. A few screw heads poked out from the side of liner maybe the 1.75 tube won't pass the liner :roll:

I think I will also make a tire with the screws coming in from the outside in...and trim the end off from the inside

BTW
With all the added weight...at the outer rim of the wheel...screws,tire liner,and a very heavy inner tube...some times at speed centrifugal or is it centripetal force? :shock:
It can take some real force on the handlebars to get the thing to turn :roll:
The Shimano roller brake hubs seem to stop it fine...gratefully :wink: :roll:

I saw mentioned here recently, and have heard it before, cut the bead out of a thin cheap street tire to put inside. Probably not noticeably heavier than the liner and heavy duty tube. :|

Another beautiful ride to work!
Sunny not a cloud in the sky! It was around 15 degrees when I left for work. Did not feel bad with the bright sun and very little wind.
I rode my Schwinn today
This one......

IMG_1341.jpg

Long story but I have hardly even looked at this bike in 5 or 6 months....
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28071&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=hurt
I think I am over it now :roll:
Put a three piece bottom bracket and crank on and rode to work
Blackbike009.jpg

Blackbike011-1.jpg

Blackbike012-1.jpg

Some more snow and ice today.
Blackbike014-1.jpg

Path was clear...
Blackbike013-1.jpg

Or was it :shock:
Blackbike021.jpg

Blackbike018.jpg

Blackbike019.jpg

Good news is the part that was covered in Ice from 40MPH North East winds blowing big waves over the path on Sunday is about 50ft past were I get off the path :mrgreen:
My 3 0r 4 miles on the lake was smooth and dry.

Back