a BMX and True Grit..

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reflectors are legally required on new bikes sold in many states, and definitely in NJ... As for the chainguard, well, the majority of the BMX bikes at the time, even those aimed at kids, didn't have chainguards. They're even less prevalent now. Seems to me that chainguards are less about safety and more about keeping chain grease off your pants. In either case, most every BMX bike sold new will be stripped of its reflectors on day 1; the chainguard on the DKs was always stripped, too, but for some kids, its presence was a deal-breaker til we showed'm how quickly it comes off.

Reflectors are legally required on new bikes sold in many states, and definitely in NJ... As for the chainguard, well, the majority of the BMX bikes at the time, even those aimed at kids, didn't have chainguards. They're even less prevalent now. Seems to me that chainguards are less about safety and more about keeping chain grease off your pants. In either case, most every BMX bike sold new will be stripped of its reflectors on day 1; the chainguard on the DKs was always stripped, too, but for some kids, its presence was a deal-breaker til we showed'm how quickly it comes off.
It seems like a such a waste of Marketing Technique via the Factory Design.
I guess to sell it to the parents..but even at that, its still dump-fill, ya know? Its a shame.. I see things at angles people don't. A lot of people consider me to have my own way of speaking..my own variation of view.. If I could just look at a Chain guard the right way creatively.. [but even then, those were plastic..]..I think Chain guards are really cool. The older the better with those.. shapes.. cut outs.. the matched patinas.. they're like the spoiler on a finished Ricer... they just add "Icing" where needed and for that I enjoy them.
Like license plates, Id really like to have a wall for them.

FZ

Yeah, guess how many times Mom herself asked me to remove the chainguard for her kid? A zillion times. Parents didn't care about the chainguard at all, except that if it meant they could get the DK for a hundred less than the Fit, they'll ask the mechanic to take it off right quick.

I like chainguards a lot, in the proper context. But, on ANY bmx bike after, say, the Schwinn Scrambler, they look terribly out of place. And, TBH, my Scrambler isn't running its chainguard, so....

Yeah, I don't wanna give the impression that I don't like chain guards. I love'm, in the proper context. But they should absolutely NOT be on BMX bikes, unless it's some relic from the 70s, before they knew any better. My Scrambler has bosses for both the chainguard and the Schwinn kickstand, although I'm running neither.... but I don't fault guys with original/restored Scramblers for running them-- it makes sense in that context. But, for DK to start putting chainguards on a BMX bike in the 21st century? Unreal....

I run chainguards on my 26" town bikes, if they're the type of bike with bosses for chainguards, anyway. Chain grease on the pants is a drag. But when I'm building a 26" cruiser for klunk-duty, the guard comes off immediately. Depending on my mood, I might hack the bosses off, too.... but I usually don't.

Yeah, I don't wanna give the impression that I don't like chain guards. I love'm, in the proper context. But they should absolutely NOT be on BMX bikes, unless it's some relic from the 70s, before they knew any better. My Scrambler has bosses for both the chainguard and the Schwinn kickstand, although I'm running neither.... but I don't fault guys with original/restored Scramblers for running them-- it makes sense in that context. But, for DK to start putting chainguards on a BMX bike in the 21st century? Unreal....

I run chainguards on my 26" town bikes, if they're the type of bike with bosses for chainguards, anyway. Chain grease on the pants is a drag. But when I'm building a 26" cruiser for klunk-duty, the guard comes off immediately. Depending on my mood, I might hack the bosses off, too.... but I usually don't.
I concur.
You Jump and ride the $#!@ Out of BMX. Its a stunt, race, and lap product. The chain guard has to be just a mountable selling tag with anything above 18".
[Or like you said..on an old enough bike they didnt know better *and were made of metal*]

I see Guards on bikes being sold now, and I wonder... do they REALLY REALLY believe... bellbottoms are still coming back like a wave?
That fad came and went the second time with the Rave and skater scene of the early and mid 90's, using JNCO brand jeans as their vice.
[I own a few pair still ^.6]

FZ

most people are into lite weight bikes , i never worried about it if i can't lift it & carry it very far then i would worrry
plastic chain guard serv no purpuse on a bmx bike & when the break it's just another thing to get in the way & cut you leg

i have seen really cool bikes with fat car tires , maybe so heavy it's like trying to pedal a motorcycle with a v-twinn that does not run
my wc chopper weighs about 75 pounds but will move pretty fast on the flat roads
light bikes are fun but i feel better knowin my bikes are medium weight bikes

Back