A CCCM

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can't wait to start my build here's what I'm starting with .
This one has been living in the shed for a while now time for it to get built and then go .
Will see how fast I can get it done .
Just going to be a cool Cruiser a little paint a gear change overhauled maybe some new rubber if they will fit only going to use what I have around .
This pic is from when I first got it it will be getting paint job number 4 these bikes only came in 3 colours and this is not one of them .
I'm not going to paint it an original colour either .
A Custom CCM.

IMG_1893.jpeg

Last edited:
Light Speed build ,,,,,, nah
Warp???..... no
LUDICROUS!!!!!????? ..... childsplay
PREPARE TO GO PLAID!!!!!

spaceballs-plaid.gif

Not much to report rain and broken pressure washer have slowed down paint process .
Here's a couple of pics

Fenders and chain guard bike has been painted 3 times so not dealing with any rust and bike came apart like it was made yesterday .
Not stripping it to the bare metal like I usually do if it won't sand off it makes good filler .
IMG_2492.jpeg

This would have been the original colour this is a CCM Columbia that I did a partial restore on it was also mid 1930s .
The fenders and truss rods were nos still wrapped in brown paper.
Plenty of tire clearance going to try and fit 700x50s on this build as that's all I have for tires .
IMG_8071.JPG

One and only gizmo that is going on this build and it actually belongs and is factory correct .
Rack with built in drop stand .
Had to make a new clip for it and don't know if it clips over top or underneath but will figure it out .
Bought it to go on my CCM delivery but will go here for now .
(maybe I will run a headlight )

IMG_2499.jpeg

Not much to report rain and broken pressure washer have slowed down paint process .
Here's a couple of pics

Fenders and chain guard bike has been painted 3 times so not dealing with any rust and bike came apart like it was made yesterday .
Not stripping it to the bare metal like I usually do if it won't sand off it makes good filler .
View attachment 206692

This would have been the original colour this is a CCM Columbia that I did a partial restore on it was also mid 1930s .
The fenders and truss rods were nos still wrapped in brown paper.
Plenty of tire clearance going to try and fit 700x50s on this build as that's all I have for tires .
View attachment 206693

One and only gizmo that is going on this build and it actually belongs and is factory correct .
Rack with built in drop stand .
Had to make a new clip for it and don't know if it clips over top or underneath but will figure it out .
Bought it to go on my CCM delivery but will go here for now .
(maybe I will run a headlight )

View attachment 206694
Underneath if I remember right.

Ready for stripping just have to get ahold of a pressure washer not panicking yet .
Bought paint and extra stripper today .
Hope there are no surprises when I get the paint off.
Burgandy original paint then sea foam green them some sort of maybe Chev paint .

IMG_2501.jpeg

New paint will be much nicer .
No time for any artsy pics right now .
Frame is drying in the garage will probably finish tomorrow but I have to paint rear rack .
Did some blacksmithing today hammering the rack straight ready for paint now debating should it be black or red ?
Tins are done satin black with gloss red accents and tires are mounted 700x50 big apple notice NOS. 20 tooth sprocket original is 18 it was a bear to ride .
Also was very difficult to remove after being on there since 1937.
Here's some pics

[Will cut grass tonight when it is cooler]

IMG_2509.jpeg

IMG_2513.jpeg

Classy Cool Ride!!

It's sort of finished don't think I will add anything to it and have a couple of pictures in case bad weather hits .
I can breath a little now so I can just look for picture locations and try things on it .
Also can make a list of things that I did on the build .
Turned out real nice I think a good solid bike rides like a Caddy with those big Schwalbes .
It's a big boys bike that's for sure .
IMG_2532.jpeg

IMG_2534.jpeg

IMG_2533.jpeg

The Build
1 Took the bike apart It came apart easy as it has been rebuilt at least 3 times according to all the paint that was on it .
2 Sanded the tins fenders had no real rust and were in excellent condition no dents or holes straightened out the fender stays .
3 Laid a base coat of gloss red paint down the centre of the fenders and across the top of the chain guard let them dry then taped off the stripes
and laid a couple of coats of satin black added a nice 1930s reflector .
Also sanded and painted the truss rods gloss red .
4 The Color scheme was taken from the seat colours it was the original Troxel seat off my last years build off bike that I rebuilt and recovered
I decided to go with something else so it was lying around .
5 Got the tires on the rims and tried one on the front fork and they fit I have put this size( 700x50 ) on old CCM bikes before but had to modify the fork
this time they fit no problem .
6 Stripped the frame with paint remover gel and pressure washer works fast and is easy can't find anyplace that has a big enough sand blasting booth in
the city .
7 Sanded it smooth and painted it satin black I was going to paint on some gloss red darts but I think the bike has enough red on it already .
8 Reassembled the bike regreased everything took it for a shakedown run on Wed. night
9 Took the rack over to the neighbours and used his blasting cabinet to get the old paint and rust off then taped it off and did a black with red stripe two tone paint job on it .
10 installed the rack bike was finished .

Other stuff
Only thing I fabbed was the clip for the drop stand used a piece of fender stay it worked perfect just copy'd it from a picture .
I wrapped the handle bars in cloth bar tape that came from France super tough had a hard time cutting it with an Olpha knife
Plugged the ends with a wine bottle cork .

Tip for you seat rebuilders I recovered this seat in the fabric that they make Hockey Goalie pads out of so its waterproof resists cuts and scratches
surprisingly feels like leather comes in a ton of colours and looks great . Got it from a luggage and shoe repair shop .

This bike rides like a Cadillac coasts forever and pedals easy as I changed out the old 18 tooth sprocket for a new old stock 20 tooth
I had rebuilt the hubs when I first got it and it stops and goes pretty good for a 85 year old bike.

This would have been a more expensive model when it was new as it has the triplex crank and chrome wheels with the model 1937 rear hub .
I was lucky to have it as a starting point as it was pretty much rust free and well taken care of .

Will throw in more pics now that I'm done building ( Ive been a little busy )

Have been watching the build off in little bits from the start and wasn't going to enter but hard to resist and I don't have a lot of parts anymore .

Lots of cool bikes in this build off Rat on
IMG_2537.jpeg

Tip for you seat rebuilders I recovered this seat in the fabric that they make Hockey Goalie pads out of so its waterproof resists cuts and scratches
surprisingly feels like leather comes in a ton of colours and looks great . Got it from a luggage and shoe repair shop
That's a great tip, probably most useful for us Canucks. Goalies on every streetcorner this time of year looking for a new net.

Looks mint man. Great simple color combination with a truly unique frame. Well done.

Latest posts

Back