A couple of Monarks from the Swap Meet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the old car swap yesterday looking for the beginnings of a new project. I plan on making something that looks old school street tough with a repop Monark Springer, White Fat Franks, no fenders, no chainguard, low-slung handlebars, hairpin saddle, etc. The Monarch will work. I couldn't pass up the silver king frame. Maybe a long-term project for the wife.

184342_1862347003174_1375922451_2150542_7859838_n.jpg

184300_1862352003299_1375922451_2150548_483729_n.jpg

A couple of questions: I'm thinking that the Monark is an early- to mid-50s model with the same frame as a Monark Rocket. Anyone else have any insights as to what year/model I have? I'm going to try and find a tank for the frame. Secondly, the head tube logo is a decal. Has anyone tried or had any success having decals reproduced for their old bikes? And, finally, does anyone have any experience with the repop Monark Springers? Are they fairly well built? I don't want a sloppy front end. I'd love some of your insights and opinions. The tear down starts today - thanks!!!

It looks like a 55-7 middleweight, though I haven't seen any with a decal before! Monark was bought out by Huffy in late 57, and later bikes start morphing into Huffy clones until they retired the Monark name around '63ish. Looks to have the classic horseshoe style Monark frame stays, so tires should fit. As far as the repop springers, there's a long running thread about them. But the main issue is where the fork legs arfe welded (barely) into the fork crown. They tend to fail there, but if you have it welded properly, should be fine. -Adam

Thanks for your insight, Rustinkerer. Yeah, it looks like the 2.125 tires are a tight fit under the fenders, but I'm planning on running without fenders. And, yes, the rear actually looks like it could handle some bigger tires - I'm hoping to run some 2.35 tires like Fat Franks . Geometry-wise, is a middleweight generally smaller than a heavyweight? Does anyone know how wide inflated Fat Franks are? I'd hate to buy them and have them not fit.

was that the swap at puyallup? If so, I also picked up a bike there. 66 schwinn racer.
those do look like nice projects there.

Back