A Day With A Cargo Van....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hey all,
A little background, I don't own a motor vehicle (I"m the motor on all my bikes), so every now and then I rent a vehicle for something I can't haul home with a bike and trailer.
Well I needed a new washing machine so...

I couldn't help myself..
First I hit up a Craigslist buy from what ended up to be a new RatRodBikes member, "psychobiLLy".
He sold me two AMF cruisers, a man's and woman's with a Galaxy Flyer frame for a good Phx price. Even threw in some goodies. Best part was talking bikes with him.

Then I stumbled upon a mid-week Yard Sale and got this Haro Mtn Bike for $15.00. It needs Way Too Much work than I want to put into it, but I bought it for the tires and pedals. Figure I'll dump it cheap on CL for what I bought it for (it still has disc brakes and all, someone will want it)

I then hit up a number of Thrift Stores. If you live in Phoenix you know Bikes are WAY Overpriced, but I finally found one with reasonable prices but crap bikes on the floor. I could see chrome fenders thru the "Employee Only" doors, so after some time convinced the Manager to let me in the back and pick some out. Scored a Hercules woman's three speed(AMF mid late 50's I'd guess) and a late 70's early 80's Murray man's Cruiser for $25 each.

No such luck at any of the other shops I stopped at so I finally picked up my new washing machine.

First half days haul...

In the background you see the bike I picked up on Phx CL a few weeks ago and fixed up to become one of my daily riders...

I put on a bigger crank, added chain(Columbia crank off a lady's parts bike), and put a NOS banana for easy, fast and comfortable riding.

After unloading the van I set out for another CL buy. A woman's Phat Cruiser for only $40. Wheels need truing and Ill get rid of the ganky graphics, but it should make for a good flip.

Finally I stopped at a pawn shop because outside a sissy bar caught my attention. Got the bike for less than half of what they were asking ( a lesson I learned Pawn shops want to get rid of bikes).

I'm going to keep the sissy bar and the banana needs recovering, but after a little cleaning she'll be an easy flip.

That was my day but I want to add a nice bike I picked up over the weekend from CL. I bought this bike new for my son about 7 years ago (it got stolen 6 years ago) so when I saw it I had to get it.

Thanks for looking...

Hey there whoinphx. I like your style man. That is making great use of a vehicle for a day. You only had one bike in the van when you arrived at my place so you got your $ worth out of the thing. The Dyno is sweet. Been looking for one myself. Just ain't found it yet but I know it's out there. I see there is going to be a vintage bike swap meet/gathering at Freeride Bikes In Mesa later this month. Let me know if you want to hook up and I'll pick you up on my way out there. Good scores brother and love the yard! Thanks for sharing, good times.

Thanks man, the yards a mess I've got to "clean up". If you're going out to this Swap in Mesa I'd love to catch a ride, that'd be cool.
I took the mens AMF out for a ride the other day,it really does ride good. I've some ideas what I might like to do with it and make it a keeper. I'll talk with you soon and set something up. Thanks again.

Back