A few Schwinn questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm wanting to buy a Schwinn Typhoon, and would like to know what size tire I can fit on the rear end? Also, is one year any better than another? What frame has the most space in the rear? Thanks for your help, Dave.

You'll be limited on tire size if you want to run fenders. The Typhoon is a middleweight. If I were you, I'd look for an older balloon tire frame. You'd have lots more room for fenders and fat tires. Gary

Typhoons will fit regular balloon tires (26x2.125") without modification. Typhoons were typically middleweights, and won't clear much bigger. Things get really tight if you try balloon tires with fenders, too.

The best year is a '62, b/c it has the awesome double straight bars that wrap around at the seat-tube to become the seatstays. Here's a pic of one, courtesy of RRB member fuzzyktu:
59140acd.jpg

This is, imho, a far classier look than the typical canti-frame versions. Tire clearance is the same, though, as far as I know...

HTH

Back