A headstart on the new build (non-rat)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well, This won't be ratty in the least, but it will be a very retro/vintage style build, so I thought I'd post it here. :D

Beginning with my newest frame. 100% Custom built by me this August. All parts used will be either NOS, repro, new or restored originals. Nothing ratty for this one.

Frame: (weighs 3.8 lbs without fork :shock:)

25a2ij4.jpg

The Velo seat I plan on using: (may be traded for a dark brown hairpin...)

352kju1.jpg

The plans for completion:

English style BB setup (hoping to modify a 52t phantom repro sprocket to fit, haven't looked into that yet)
Chrome chain
3 speed 26 x 1 3/8 chrome steel wheelset, rear hub will be an SA three speed coaster, front will be Wald or ND model W
Whitewall tires
Repro "Bullhorn" style half moon "U" bars, flipped upside down, naturally :)
Custom SA grip shift, using an NOS SA grip shift with reproduction white Elgin type pointed end grips
Self hanging (spring loaded) repro rear dropstand
Chrome trusses of some kind are to be added to the fork (hopefully)
Possibly, a battery operate chrome bullet light (undecided about this. definitely won't be running a generator light)
Prewar style reflectors, those will be interesting touches :wink: looking for some very particular styles...

Many other small vintage accessories and touches will be incoporated, most will be determined along the way. Now that most of the things in my garage sale are gone, I should have this one done for the nice riding weather of the fall :D I'm really looking forward to it.

Thanks! Should be loads of fun. Will be the only new bike I own, and it's going to have a vintage look to it. :lol:

Well, Thanks to Joe for hooking me up with me this beautiful SA three speed coaster wheelset. I got my tires and dropstand in today... will be buying most all of the remaining parts on Saturday, so this one is nearing completion! As soon as the bike stands on its own I will take some better pictures. Sorry for the poor lighting.

2j5utc.jpg

o53s0l.jpg

2lj6dzk.jpg

Thanks guys! :D

I'm really glad I chose these whitey tires over traditional whitewalls with black tread- I think these make the cream accents on the frame really pop and I also don't think the contrast of the black tread would have looked good in the least. I'm getting really pumped to get this one built up and riding.

Really cool, I´m starting something similar for my dad so this build will be good inspiration.

BoLiles said:
awesome!

what size wheels and tires are you going to run?

Thanks guys. The wheels and tires are 26x 1 3/8. The frame was built to accept a 700c wheel, and I'm thinking that eventually I'd like to run 700c wheels on it...

Thanks-

Starbard is my surname. It's an English name and seemed to me to fit the frame very well, so that's what it received. :wink: If I create some sort of brand name in the future which I think sounds better than my surname, it will be replaced on the the future frames.

BoLiles said:
Being a novice, I can't tell if the 26" wheels I have are for 1-3/8" or not haha

I think that any thin width 26 inch rim like this would be a 1 3/8 rim if that is helpful. I don't think there were other lightweight 26 inch rim sizes originally (now, I believe that there are 26x1.5 wheels?).

i..i..i..dont know what to say.
i love it.
i had something similer in the back of my brain for a build in the future(after i finish 2 or 3 others), but i guess i'm gonna have to ratchet it up a notch :lol:
i cant wait to see this finished.

Wow Chris, that's a real beauty!
Can't wait to see the finished bike!

Chris, that bike is coming along nicely. I'm not sure if either of these could work for you:

First is an SR loose ball bottom bracket for a 68mm shell, not quite NOS, but pretty good!
DSCN0113.jpg

DSCN0114.jpg

DSCN0112.jpg

And this sealed cartridge Phil Wood, also 68mm shell.
DSCN0115.jpg

DSCN0053.jpg

The SR might be a little more "period correct" looking but you decide.

Well,

Went to my LBS today and got a bunch of parts... mostly little bits of hardware... also put a bunch on order. Should have this beast up and going within the next few weeks.

Back