A little advice on hubs/shifters....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello forum! I have been recently putting together a 1967 Schwinn Stingray I purchased at a local second hand store. Unfortunately I did not get some good photos before delivering to the paint shop and it was torn down for painting and I am having some issues putting the shifter(s) back together. I am looking for a little advice. I have watched numerous videos and looked through many photos and haven't been a real help. The rear wheel is a S/A AW hub with a mounted S/A 3 speed shifter mounted on the handlebar...I wish that was the end, but it's not. Also on the bike was a Shimano 333 shifter with a derailleur. The S/A hub has THREE sprockets attached to it. I am sure that this Shimano set up was not a factory deal, but an aftermarket add-on. My questions; WHY? Why would they have done this? Does anyone see a reason to put the Shimano back on? I'm not much of a collector, more of a "flipper" and will be listing this on "feeBay" so any advice would be great!

You have a 3 speed internal hub and a 3 speed derailleur both with separate shifters? So it's a cool 6 speed! I guess you could remove the derailleur and triple cassette and leave the internal hub/shifter.. but if it's a factory add-on...could be more valuable? I see your dilemma. I would like to see a pic of that too. Sounds interesting.

Thanks have a few pics but not sure how to upload on this board? Any help would be good to get them posted.

Thanks! I think I have it. Let me know any thoughts. Started hooking gears up today but not going too well, should I hook up the S/A first and then the Shimano? If, so which sprocket do I use for the S/A? Any thoughts would be helpful.

That's hott. It gives a theoretically possible spread of 9 gear ratios, although there may be some overlap depending on the size of the sprocket and cogs. It's a lot like the current production Brompton folders with the optional 6speed set-up, which combines a SA 3 speed hub with a 2-speed derailer/cog system.

If it were me, I'd leave that all in place. It'd probably be easiest to set up the shimano/derailer stuff first, just so you could leave it in the middle cog and turn the crank dependably while you tune the SA. That's what I'd do, anyway. I'd put the hub in the frame, install the chain, run the cable from the 333 to the RD, and tune that up.. Then, I'd install the indicator chain, run the cable from the SA shifter to the hub, leave the chain on the middle cog, and tune the SA's shifting as usual.

Before you sell/flip it, you'll need to post a lot of pics on here. You'll want to take plenty of pics of the rear hub set-up, anyway, as that's what is gonna sell that bike. Prospective buyers will ask a lot of questions about it, I imagine.

Latest posts

Back