A little help here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asam90

RRB Supporter
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys
I’m brand new here and looking to start a hobby while making a book. The only identification I could find on this bike was the number I showed you, which was a A90278. I know that it’s all original and that I’m pretty sure it’s pre-38 because it has the two separate bars and not tank. I haven’t gotten hard-core with the brush yet to try to find more numbers but soon I’m gonna have to.

Attachments

• IMG_1950.jpeg
    IMG_1950.jpeg
    2.1 MB
  • IMG_1948.mov
    47.1 MB
Hawthorne was Gamble's department store brand name. Many of the Hawthornes were made by Cleveland Welding company, later AMF. (Yeah, the same AMF that once owned Harley Davidson and ruled the bowling alleys).

In 1947, they started adding more letters that are often hidden under the paint. You might have to gently sand the paint off to see the full numbers & letters.

The old myth of "skip tooth is pre-war" isn't correct. Many brands continued to use skip tooth chain rings and chains into the 1950s.

I think I spotted a w inside a C in your video which would make it a 1949 bike.

Cw.jpg

The serial number chart.

Cleveland.Welding.Serial.chart.20201210_180851.png

Last edited:
Hawthorne was a Montgomery Wards brand, but the bikes were made by the big bike makers back then. This bike was made by CWC, Cleveland Welding Company, whose primary brand name was Roadmaster. Except for small differences in trim and paint they were the same bikes.
Hiawatha was the brand name used by Gambles, but also were the same bikes.

If that is a Cw by itself at the right of the number, with no letter "A", then it's a series 3 CWC bike, made from 47-49. With your A number, would make it made in March-Jun of 1947. If there is an A, then it's series 4, 1949.
65713_5326b1a3c8e634d2684b050c7939cbda.jpg

Last edited:
Oops, yes. Hiawatha vs Hawthorne. Same serial numbers on both. I have a 1950 but it's missing the head badge. The sprocket has a different pattern on the two names.

Hawthorne was a Montgomery Wards brand, but the bikes were made by the big bike makers back then. This bike was made by CWC, Cleveland Welding Company, whose primary brand name was Roadmaster. Except for small differences in trim and paint they were the same bikes.
Hiawatha was the brand name used by Gambles, but also were the same bikes.

If that is a Cw by itself at the right of the number, with no letter "A", then it's a series 3 CWC bike, made from 47-49. With your A number, would make it made in March-Jun of 1947. If there is an A, then it's series 4, 1949.
View attachment 282685
The number is A90278

Hawthorne was Gamble's department store brand name. Many of the Hawthornes were made by Cleveland Welding company, later AMF. (Yeah, the same AMF that once owned Harley Davidson and ruled the bowling alleys).

In 1947, they started adding more letters that are often hidden under the paint. You might have to gently sand the paint off to see the full numbers & letters.

The old myth of "skip tooth is pre-war" isn't . Many brands continued to use skip tooth chain rings and chains into the 1950s.

I think I spotted a w inside a C in your video which would make it a 1949 bike.

View attachment 282683

The serial number chart.

View attachment 282673

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB

Latest posts

Back