A mess of a honey hole of bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my old childhood friends contacted me and said he had a bunch of bikes he had got from the police in our town 4 or 5 years ago and If I would fix up a bike for one of his guys to ride to work I could have them. So heres the haul
There some walmart but theres alot of light weights and 20 inchs thats pretty cool.
IMG_20121101_132654.jpg

first 2 bikes I pull out of the pile, ones a GT and the other is a GT DYNO. both are well abused but think I can do something with them
IMG_20121101_113050.jpg

heres the rest that I thought was pretty cool
Its a sears 24 inch light weight
IMG_20121101_143419.jpg

huffy 3 speed light weight
IMG_20121101_144258.jpg

not sure what it is but has alot of parts I can use
IMG_20121101_144449.jpg

an executive 10 speed, the gum wall tires dont look to bad
IMG_20121101_144607.jpg

wish I had got this one when the stickers was still nice its a columbia diet mtn dew bike
IMG_20121101_144942.jpg

IMG_20121101_144947.jpg

IMG_20121101_144953.jpg

Heres the GT DYNO, its got 3 or 4 colors of spray paint all over it
IMG_20121101_144110.jpg

Heres the GT not sure of year but heres the numbers off the bottom G5K03072
IMG_20121101_143822.jpg

may use the GT parts off the DYNO to fix the GT up

was thinking it was from the 80s when I seen this. not sure someone would have used an older gt part on it since everything else was relaced with walmart bike parts
IMG_20121101_145742.jpg

Check out BMXMUSEUM.com, they have a guide to help you narrow it down. You could always post a pic there, I'm just not familiar enough with the BMX stuff yet. But I can tell you Chrome performer bars / GT Mallet stem / Frame & Fork ... there is probably a little bit of money to be made if you wanted to.

needed a break from the mtn bike I was working on ( have I said lately how I hate working on mountain bike) and grabbed the greenish colored light weight put some air in the tires and road it up the alley, need to true the rear rim and grease it up and it will be a nice rider

84-86 Performer/Pro performer is my guess. The head tube angle looks lake it has a rake similar to some of the 86 models I have seen but its hard to tell for sure. Check the rear drop out or under the BB for the serial # and we can date it for sure. Also, for what its worth the prices on 80s BMX freestyle have come WAY down over the last year or two so although you have a cool frame/fork/bars/stem/clamp there you probably wont get rich off of it. Cool for a build or to flip and recoup some of your loot though 8)
-Brian

Nice group of finds, the red bike is a Sears bike since I have seen it when looking on the Sears Parts Direct site & the chainring looks like a Murray design I saw when I was searching Murray Patents.

Bri-in-RI said:
84-86 Performer/Pro performer is my guess. The head tube angle looks lake it has a rake similar to some of the 86 models I have seen but its hard to tell for sure. Check the rear drop out or under the BB for the serial # and we can date it for sure. Also, for what its worth the prices on 80s BMX freestyle have come WAY down over the last year or two so although you have a cool frame/fork/bars/stem/clamp there you probably wont get rich off of it. Cool for a build or to flip and recoup some of your loot though 8)
-Brian
Listed the number by the pic but here it is again G5K03072 thats on the BB, will see if thats the true color when I break it down. Ive actually been looking for an 80s GT to build a performer for my self so I dont plan on getting rich off it.

while my son was tearing down the walmart bikes. I started messing with the light weights and noticed the black huffy has a 3 speed sturmey archer rear hub. SCORE but as with most the 3 speeds ive found the shifter is missing.

dragnusa said:
Bri-in-RI said:
-Brian
Listed the number by the pic but here it is again G5K03072 thats on the BB, will see if thats the true color when I break it down. Ive actually been looking for an 80s GT to build a performer for my self so I dont plan on getting rich off it.

I somehow missed the serial # :oops: sorry. Its Japanese made built in November 85 as an 86 model.

Bri-in-RI said:
dragnusa said:
Bri-in-RI said:
-Brian

I somehow missed the serial # :oops: sorry. Its Japanese made built in November 85 as an 86 model.
Is there any way to find out what model it was by that number?

was talking to a friend about all the bikes I got in this haul and when they heard I had the 2 freestyle bikes they said heres a guys number that may be interested in them, So Im running them over to see if their something he may want.

dragnusa said:
The guys thinking about getting them. but i decded to find out what the GT Dyno is and it looks to be a 99 dyno vfr

You are probably right on the Dyno being a VFR. As for the GT, back then all the models used the same frame/fork and the only differences were the parts for each model. There is no way to tell if it was a Performer, Pro Performer or PFT at this point so paint it and decal it as whatever you choose. 8)

Back