a Peerless :: my first build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after checking this place out for a while, I get less and less interested in riding my newer bikes, and have been jonesin' to put something together with a bit more tuffness. I found this old Peerless frame & $8.00 funky cream-colored Brooks saddle at a LBS a few weeks ago and bought the JC Higgins Springer here, from Gold Street Customs, last week.. I'm really loving the two together. These wheels came off a middleweight grocery-getter I'm also working on... not sure I'll keep them for long, but couldn't wait to see it mocked up. Not fully sure where I'm going with this, except that I'm going to get it mechanically sorted and riding and just let it evolve naturally... this is exactly the kind of project I've been needing, and I couldn't be happier with the way it's coming out of the gates.

I can't find a serial number on this frame, or much info.. if anyone knows anything about it, I'd love to know.

4464259784_04d1b5e7da_o.jpg

4463482517_c2be8fa6f0_o.jpg

lookin good,throw on a chain and bars and go for a ride !

oh yah you might need some peddals too :lol:

Thanks for the comments and feedback, y'all.. I'm hoping to get it riding soon, but I want to hold out for the right parts to come along... I may have to see if I have some temporary bars and pedals that'll at least get it on the road sooner than later.

BankerRAt & KZ1000, I'd love to see pics of your Peerless bikes.

Peerless was one of Snyder's badges, they also built Rollfast and many Hawthornes. The long dropouts are similar to the mid 50s-on style, except yours have two separate holes, and the later ones have 4 or 5 connected holes. So, I'd guess postwar to early 50s, however Phil (rms37) can likely give a closer date. He's got the 'magic eye' for these frames, and can ID 'em right off the bat! -Adam

jiminyshiznit said:
Thanks for the comments and feedback, y'all.. I'm hoping to get it riding soon, but I want to hold out for the right parts to come along... I may have to see if I have some temporary bars and pedals that'll at least get it on the road sooner than later.

BankerRAt & KZ1000, I'd love to see pics of your Peerless bikes.
SORRY, I was joking, BankerRats Peerless is at my house in hiding

Thanks for the info, Rustinkerer.

Today I picked up a set of bars that are a little different than typical risers I've seen.. the return angle to the hand position is much sharper than most I've seen. They're the same size tubing all the way through, so the mounting point is too small for any stem I have. I made a quick copper shim, and if I decide to use these I'll make a much nicer version of it. These were $3, so I couldn't pass 'em up.

edit: After trying these out in a couple of positions, I think I'm going to keep looking for the right bars for this bike... I like these for something, though.

4463482611_c65cacef58_o.jpg

This keeps creeping along.. found a chainguard I like and just bought a two-speed hub for it that should be here soon. I'm likely going to put red Goodyear treads on it. Depending on the rideability of the two-speed wheel, this should be on the road relatively soon. If not, then I get to learn how to rebuild a redband hub, which could also be fun.

4482448264_a9e61f58ea_o.jpg

4482448438_e4cd27e62b_o.jpg

In the meantime, this JC Higgins is also coming along. I forgot to take pics of this before I started, so I thought I'd just throw it here, since I referenced it earlier. I was thinking I'd make a grocery-getter out of this, but I'm liking the simple lines it has going right now. Either way, this one needs a coaster brake rebuild, so there's another thing I get to learn! I just got the Quick Bricks to BARELY fit under these middleweight fenders, and I'm diggin' the stuffed-fender look.

4481799705_ef7f471742_o.jpg

i really like the bars i have not seen those either. they look sweet leaned forwards.

Re: Peerless Rat

Well, after some little battles, and a big one, this thing's a rider... took 'er out for a few miles yesterday afternoon with a pocket full of wrenches and got things feeling great. The 2-speed hub had a few broken parts, but I was able to eventually track down some replacements. Now I just need to straighten out the chain guard and figure how I want to mount my lights... probably other tweaks here and there, too, but I'm really happy with the way it rides.

4575450239_040dd3614b_o.jpg

4575450159_e371b786de_o.jpg

Wow, both of those are great! Total classic style! (except I'd probably throw a different saddle on the Peerless) That Peerless looks great with those apes on it, and I usually hate apehangers! Plus the high riser stem works well with the other bike.

Back