A possibility.. That seems to be happening!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one of my current finds. What I do know is it is a Schwinn stingray of some sort that is about all I know. It looks like junk but besides the seat it is a food solid rust/pit free bike. If I keep it (on the bench about that choice) my goal is simple.. Blast, paint, throw some old straight bars on, maybe some sort of good set of mags and ride with the family.

Hope you guys enjoy it.. I know it isnt much but most of you know it can be a new bike with a little blood, sweat and beers. :mrgreen:

e10850a176b9052063414473e7048ac5.jpg

Re: A possibility?

It needs a good seat, grips and grease and will be good to ride. I have a set of wheels from my old bmx days. I am still undecided about keeping.. I want something from early 50s or older. But who knows.

Try removing the aqua with some Easy-Off oven cleaner to get to the original color.

Looks to be an early Stingray frame which could be worth some bucks....find and look up the serial # for build year.

So after slapping some parts on it and going over every bolt and bearing I took it for a spin. These are nimble little bikes thats for sure. Still on the fence weather or not I want to keep or sell. For now here is some shots of it how it sits until I make my mind up.

5d258d9908b1d01dc8028fb92cb34db6.jpg

dea10ba8e829daefd9d474b5a8f297e3.jpg

Haha.. looks similar to what my build is starting at...
425071_364863510251474_379194233_n.jpg
:mrgreen:
its gonna be a little Motorcycle 8)

Awesome..sell me those fenders ahahahahahhahahahaahaaaa.

Small update..

Got the gooseneck off, bars off, badge off and ran into a problem. The bike was originally a metallic blue and it is now ruined but 3 layers of rattle can paint. :( who would do such a thing. Plan to finish disassembling the bike tomorrow it has gotten cold cold. Should start cleansing, stripping all chrome parts so I can clean them up nicely. Still unsure about keeping but I am having a little fun now.

JJP27 said:
Small update..

Got the gooseneck off, bars off, badge off and ran into a problem. The bike was originally a metallic blue and it is now ruined but 3 layers of rattle can paint. :( who would do such a thing. Plan to finish disassembling the bike tomorrow it has gotten cold cold. Should start cleansing, stripping all chrome parts so I can clean them up nicely. Still unsure about keeping but I am having a little fun now.

how ironic.. mine was bombed blue.. it was og, my fave stingray color, Coppertone :x I asked same question who would do such a thing.. i donno different spokes for dif folks.
i may paint 5spd copper tone i may not. but i think when i go to repaint the copper tone ima go with an Orange.. :roll: 8)

If I end up keeping this one I would like to source some fenders and maybe a seat to replace the one on it. I might can punch a whole through mine with a screw driver. Its gone for sure.

Well not too much interest in the bike so it has begun to get attention.

Everything started out with rust and a crap load of paint. Took everything down to bare metal. Frame is still being worked with. Couple hours of work so far and it is paying off.

443bc3d9d1618dc034e88ad0e2a1681d.jpg

e6660d3a3a1d74ba8b449bb635e1b45c.jpg

Thanks, I am trying to get motivated! Its so cold out today and the frame has so many coats of paint it is taking awhile.

Well,

I got the bike completely together as it is wanted. Cut the bars down 1.5 inches on each side, had to temp give her the idea of the banana seat now time to order a new one and thats about it. Everything is nearly down to bare metal and then we will decide to clear or paint it a color.

Enjoy! (Ignore the sissy bar mounting to the seat, it had no holes where it should mount so i mounted them forward to give her an idea of how it would look with the bar)

e8f3f347b69702af275592919f225c5a.jpg

7a3581e840d207d0031c498ed84780da.jpg

Well finally we have decided on a final look. Used a seat from her old bike and the original bars from the stingray. We have also picked a color.. I can not wait to finish sanding it and get some color on it and some new tires.

4e82de2bc21c220a2bdcbf62701d8134.jpg

Back