A roaring $10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A man in my area has a lot of acres covered in old farm machinery and cars. my dad was there to pick up a husker shredder and I came along to see if he had bikes. he said he had close to a hundred in a wooded area. I got over there and they seemed to be all road bikes leaned up against all the trees. I found these beauties and he gave them for $10. the skiptooth schwinn was his first bike. what is the black schwinn. I think it is a typhoon or a spitfire 5.
DSCN8068.jpg

DSCN8070.jpg

DSCN8069.jpg

DSCN8072.jpg

DSCN8071.jpg

The black Schwinn looks like a Corvette to me. They were three speeds and had the stainless fenders. I'm just assuming those are stainless since they are so clean when compared to the rest of the bike. The second one is a post war DX.

Yes, corvette or jaguar. With that chainguard, it's 1958 or earlier. If there are any remains of a decal on the top tube, it would be a 'vette. Cool finds 8)

Nice score..those s/s fenders are the bomb..!..I would love to get a hold of some old Road Bikes.. :wink:

Nice finds, and at a great price. That skiptooth is awesome, I'd hit it with a little OA bath and see if any color comes back. The Columbia has a great patina going for it. What are the plans for them? Restore? Rat? Part out?

I plan to restore the "corvette". :D the straitbar I may use for my future FARMALL build. The columbia may turn rat :D. Thanks for the knowledge and Positive comments

Bikecity said:
Did you see any BMX out there? I will pay or trade,so let me know :mrgreen:
There actually were some amf/bmx type bikes that I noticed. I didn't get a good look but I noticed on one, the yellow star wheels were broken apart.

Snap some shots of some old road bikes if you go back..Better yet grab one..!

Something suspicious is going on with these finds.... The black corvette was made 57 years from the exact day that I bought it. The skiptooth schwinn was made exactly 50 years before 9/11/01 it is 60 years old. I don't know where to decode the Columbia serial number though

here is an update for the likely future for these bikes.the corvette will be "restored" to my current parts shelf's ability. It will just be a clean rider, this will be next spring. The Columbia will be sold because I don't need it more than the money it is worth. the DX will be used for next years BUILD OFF! I got some rubbing compound on some of the frame and it looks as if it has a chipped off coat of orange house paint on it :D it looks AWESOME. Sadly though, it is getting very cold out in the shed. Due to the lack of a heater, I will not be working on bikes all winter. All my bikes are getting stuffed in our lower garage over this next season. maybe I will post pictures of that sometime here. it is quite impressive :mrgreen: I dont really think I will finish my Hawthorne build either :(. I may keep buying and selling but I will not be as active on this site as I usually am. Oh well. I already am exited for the build off next year though! :D

Latest posts

Back