A Tribute for Dad is delivered to a happy guy!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: A Tribute for Dad-Final pieces in sight

killer! glad to see its almost done! :D im sure there will be tears.

Re: A Tribute for Dad-Final pieces in sight

The bike is done! I finished it up Saturday morning with the NOS Western Flyer bell and what was just supposed to be a temporary seat that garagegoon hooked me up with. The seat just looks like it was on there from the factory, so there it will stay.

Tomorrow I will tear it down to crate it for the 500 mile trip to Austin.

Here are a few pics of the new parts and some from the Midwest Historical & Genealogical Society Julyapalooza.
The bell
2547da58.jpg

The Seat
ff152fff.jpg

The bike
b53af46d.jpg

My '61 Western Flyer behind garagegoon's '61 Western Flyer
686a231e.jpg

Re: A Tribute for Dad is Done!

Thanks for all the positive comments! I am chomping at the bit to get down there just to give this to him.

I have the bike torn down and ready to crate up for the trip. Tomorrow I will show you the Udall Custom Bikes overkill packing method for shipping a bike.

Here is the greatest man I have ever known.

ALE.jpg

He had this done a couple years ago. My brothers had this image put on a set of dominos for him last year and I am going to keep the theme going. The last detail for the bike is a small vinyl decal made of this image in red to go on the front half of the chain guard. Should have it tomorrow or Wednesday (I hope!).

When I go to ship a bike, I kinda go overboard on packing. Here is how I pack a bike to ship.

First thing after the bike has been torn down is to pad the frame. Pipe insulators and twine take care of that.

2cb82c85.jpg

f2761f23.jpg

1d8e9834.jpg

Next I mock up how the big parts (frame and wheels) will be situated and the measure the length and hight. I will add an inch to each measurement for a little insurance.

46446a39.jpg

e2ceb038.jpg

7e7c2caa.jpg

Now it's time to put on the carpenter hat. I use 1x12 pine utility shelf boards. Usually two 8' boards will be enough for your standard bike. if I am just shipping a frame I use 1x8's.

6da0b2c6.jpg

d6a717bd.jpg

I also cut some small blocks from what I have around. Today it was 2x3s and some 3/4" plywood strips that were 1 1/2" wide.

4aeda1cb.jpg

Time to build the box frame. I screw the sides together and then screw a 2x3 into each corner for a little strength.

ce652ba9.jpg

A piece of all-thread with a couple nuts and washers will keep the back of the bike from getting damaged and give you a place to secure the back of the bike.

7915c298.jpg

b7f4765a.jpg

A few well placed blocks will secure the front wheel and forks.

e0a245ef.jpg

Same for the rear wheel. You can also see the pedals, kickstand and some other parts brown bagged and stuck in the wheels.

fa6b2c00.jpg

Secure the bars/stem and the seat to the frame and then use some more twine to tighten up anything that might try to shift around.

9974f0c5.jpg

Finally I get some big sheets of cardboard to close in the front and back. An appliance box usually does the trick. Unfortunately I don't have that yet so it can't be closed up yet.

Overkill? Maybe. Confident that it will arrive in the same shape as when I closed it up? Without a doubt.

that would look cool on the seat. a very nice ride, you've done good.i love the story, im proud of you and your not even my son. dont forget the tissues when you deliver it!

Re: A Tribute for Dad is Packed!

Excellent......work Cameron....well it wasn't work....it was one of those labors of love things ....dang IM going to have to lie to my son and tell him about this 69 Camero I used to never own....so when he gets older....yea....he'll bring me....yea...Oh SON.....later
have a safe trip..
Terry

Re: A Tribute for Dad is Packed!

Got the last decal for the chainguard today (nothing like waiting until the last minute!) We leave for Austin later this evening and should be there in time for breakfast!

Now I will just have to figure a way to get the old man out of the way long enough for me to re-assemble the bike before he sees it.

Back