Addicted newbie...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, My name is Tim, I am from North Carolina, but due to me being in the USAF I am stationed over in England. Well, I was walking around a store on base the other day and saw this old school looking cruiser, but it was ugly...and i decided that i could fix it up, so I came home and started looking around and found you guys. I love it, I was planning on doing a flat black paint, with a candy red and flake and some white rodder style pinstripes in my build. I am totally new to this and am eager to jump right in and play around. Hopefully my bike is decent enough to do something with.... Well here is a quick mock up of the stock bike out of the box....kinda ugly....wanna do new fenders,chain guard, seat, handlebars, rims and tires maybe, paint, new front fork, a headlight up front, possibly a generator type one.....etc... i am open to ideas and any assistance possible, i have been looking at other bikes and it seems I found a great group of fun knowledgeable people.... :mrgreen:
SDC11127.jpg

No problem, thank you for your service with this great site, I must have spent hours looking at bikes on here before I went and picked mine up.

One question though, How do I get my front wheel out front more, is it called rake I think, do I need a springer fork?

deorman said:
Congratulations on a fresh bicycle and a good site. A decent learning platform.
The way to start is to tighten your fasteners, adjust seat up,align handbar, now RIDE, RIDE, RIDE!!!

welcome ! now you can think out of the box.. 8)

welcome to the site thats out of sight !

WELCOME!.....Take the fenders and the guard off, flip the bars and your half way there! BETTER yet, get a set of apes.

Welcome! :)
I'm kind of new to this as well, but I think rake is the angle of the head tube...hope to be corrected if I'm wrong! :D
I've learned from this site that even the worst looking bike can be a decent or even a good bike to do something with! Go for it and have fun, your plans for the bike sounds nice and I can almost promise you that you'll get more ideas as you start building... :wink:

SFTimmy said:
No problem, thank you for your service with this great site, I must have spent hours looking at bikes on here before I went and picked mine up.

One question though, How do I get my front wheel out front more, is it called rake I think, do I need a springer fork?
A custom fork is the easiest way. Chopping the neck is not for amateurs, But there are definitely builders in England who can do it for you.

welcome! a box bike isn't a bad way to start off what your new addiction. is that a huffy "newport"? looks like a cranbrook (and i just bought a new 09 cranbrook too, for a commuter) but the chainguard says... newport? look forward to the after picts.

here is a b4 of my 08 next lajolla. added full chrome fenders since and plan 144ct lowrider wheels and at least a front springer fork. i love my classics, and i got a handfull, but these new box bikes are great too.
IMG_0769.jpg

Yeah its a Newport, Just something simple and all to get into things havent found any old bikes around here yet to tinker with. I am actually buying another "box" bike but its a ladies so now I have two projects. Your bike looks really nice now as is haha...

roadmaster said:
welcome! a box bike isn't a bad way to start off what your new addiction. is that a huffy "newport"? looks like a cranbrook (and i just bought a new 09 cranbrook too, for a commuter) but the chainguard says... newport? look forward to the after picts.

here is a b4 of my 08 next lajolla. added full chrome fenders since and plan 144ct lowrider wheels and at least a front springer fork. i love my classics, and i got a handfull, but these new box bikes are great too.
IMG_0769.jpg

hey, i fell your pain over the fork rake and head tube angles. ive noticed that most every lower end bike from the 90's to especially NOW, have very "uptight and upright" angles. my 59' roadmaster has much more relaxed head tube angles and more rake, as most all bikes back then had.

Latest posts

Back