Adding Handbrakes to ‘58 Schwinn American

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. So i will be using my Schwinn American to commute around town and for exercise. I’m not too confident in the coaster brake stopping quickly when I need it. Can a freewheel and handbrakes be added? Has anyone done this? Thank you.

Last edited:
Option A: Front drum hub laced to your current rim with new spokes. Used lever off any bike.

Option B: Front fork with canti brake. 1980’s mtbs are cheap and plenty. Find one with same head tube length.

Keep your coaster rear in either case. You can also add a rear rim brake to the fender bridge. Fab an extender drop bolt if needed - Sheldon Brown has a page on them. Or go with rear canti posts and rear canti too.

I have another question. How far back in the dropout should the rear rim be? It was all the way back but the chain was too loose. So the tech removed a link for me but it’s brought the rim to almost the end of the dropout. This worries me. Not sure my worry is warranted or what can be done. Any advice?
You can purchase a half link if you are concerned, Schwinn bikes tend to be set very far forward in the drop out. If you have a streched chain and remove a link it may sit too far forward.

I have another question. How far back in the dropout should the rear rim be? It was all the way back but the chain was too loose. So the tech removed a link for me but it’s brought the rim to almost the end of the dropout
If you have pictures, that would give us an idea of what your concerns are. You said that a professional bike tech set it up like that, do you have any reason to suspect their work? I'm an amateur internet hack, I probably have put less bikes together in my life than that pro has in a month, but if you still want my advice, I'll give it

On most schwinn middleweights the rear wheels washer will almost cover the front end of the drop out and the axle will a be well forward of the center of the drop out. For some reason they chose not too use the rear 3/4 of the drop out something that has puzzled me quite a bit. I suspect that reveal I mentioned played into it a lot, too far back and the fender covers the tire in an inconsistent way.

Back