Addison Speed Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, im in! i finally got it right with this bike, and have already made progress! i posted it before in the builds, but it fell through. i have since sandblasted and painted the frame and forks. name might change, but for now it stays. :D i bought the paint thinking it would be like a red oxide primer, but its more like a matte burnt orange color.
DSCN5854.jpg

DSCN5859.jpg

DSCN5861.jpg

DSCN5862.jpg

Wow that hurts your eyes! Nice frame start!

yeah. sunny days make for really bright pictures. 8)

well, i've done everything i could do today. touched up some spots on the paint, cleaned up the bearing cups and put the forks on. next task is to buy paint for the wheels, buy spokes, and sandblast the wheels.
DSCN5867.jpg

DSCN5868.jpg

I really love the shape of those frames! lookin good

well i finally got some stuff done, now im just waiting on the spokes to come in at my LBS. i got the paint done, still working on stripping the wheel rims. i might actually end up buying new ones. at least one, if not both are slightly bent, but im hoping i can straighten them out when i lace and true them. i also bought bars and grips(hockey tape with cheap bar end plugs sanded and painted to match the bike!) :D
DSCN5881.jpg

DSCN5882.jpg

how do you guys and gals think cream and black pinstripe accents would look? like some kind of cool darts on the forks and some striping around the soon-to-be headbadge and whatnot?

not much of an update, but its something. i FINALLY got the spokes in and started to clean up the rims. it seems that they are both slightly bent so that when you lay it on a the table, they wobble a little. but before i took them apart, they were actually very straight. can they be trued so they're straight again?

I have found that you can lay 1/2 of the rim over a good table and push down and kinda keep working on them to get them straight. If you start with one that is bent it makes i really hard to true them. :roll:

thanks for the tip, ill have to find a flat surface stable enough to do that on. my workbench top is made of cheap partical board, i already knocked off some of it. :lol:

They are best straightened as much as possible before lacing, but go easy at first to you get a handle on it, it isn't hard to twist them or throw them out of round.(worse than side wobble, IMO)

fenderhole said:
that's one awesome bike you got there! those dropouts look hauntingly familiar... :wink:
ooh! oooh! scary! :lol: why do they haunt you so?

lol, well maybe "hauntingly" was a poor choice of words. i just really dig those CWC dropouts. i think they have the coolest shape of all the bikes from that era.

they are nice. some look like they're gonna snap off just sittin there, some look like.. is it gonna fly away? :D not our bikes.

Back