Adjustable Cup bottom bracket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to piece together my 1980ish Raleigh. this is my first experience with an adjustable cup bottom bracket and I've found a little bit of info on them, but I'm hoping somebody has had some experience with them... :|

First off, I have to go out and buy 2 new wrenches.

Any pointers, links, images of a properly adjusted and functioning crank/bottom bracket combo would be great.

You're off to a good start by obtaining the right tools, it makes any job easier.

My experience has been that you need to be patient and keep adjusting until you get just the right feel to it, no play AND no resistance.

A well adjusted old school BB is WAY better than a bargain basement priced cartridge unit. Many of them are junk right out of the box.

Let us know how it turns out or if you need any help once you get the tools.

62H

Well adjusted and totally out of whack look the same in pics! :wink: 62Higgens just about covered it. The difference between them and 1- piece units is that tightening the lock ring slightly loosens, unlike the lock nut on 1-piece, which slightly tightens. The balance between play and binding that you seek is the same.

Back