Adjusting a springer fork for rake?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just got a black springer fork form my stretch and I installed it last night. Problem is that it sits at a different angle than my original one so the rake is different and now the wheelbase is longer by about 3 inches. I don't mind the look and it rides fine. It's not as much rake as a lowrider bent springer but more than I had. My problem is now the bike will no longer fit my bike rack which holds the bike by the wheels. If I can't fix the wheelbase I'll have to modify my rack to work with it.

Is there a way to adjust these to reduce the weight? I'm thinking of trying a longer bolt through the spring and putting a spacer behind the spring at the headset bracket. I looked around and didn't see any source for longer headset brackets.

Here is the bike with the original springer. It was raining too hard this morning to take pictures with the new one.

Thanks for any input.

af_021.jpg

The bike on the rack when I first got it.

rack_005.jpg

Oh another thing...

My old springer has a lock screw through the headset bracket for the bolt that goes through the spring as well as one that goes into the back of the steerer tube. The new springer doesn't have these. Is that normal? This is my first experience with springer forks.

Here is a photo of what I did on Sun King...

SunKingFrontDetail.jpg

I used a lowrider springer as it was all that was available here (New Zealand) at the time. We are seriously lacking suppliers of good parts over here, so I improvised. I removed the existing bolt that went through the spring and replaced it with threaded rod and a piece of chrome tube (from a handlebar I think) as a spacer. I put a large washer between the spacer and the spring and a nylock nut at the headset bracket.

It seemed to work fine but others might have better solutions for adjusting the rake.

Cheers.

Glen.

you could also use an old craftsman socket as a spacer. rustier the better :wink:

Your bike is already hanging out past your vehicle's fenders, so that extra 3" will just be more of a danger. To your bike, not other cars or pedestrians of course. Maybe you can turn the front end backwards and mount it on there, but that would take the cool look away.

Looks like I need to add a 1 inch spacer to get the rake back to where I want it. It doesn't look much different in this picture but it does kick the front wheel out almost 3 inches from where it was before. I would just leave it if it would still fit on my bike rack.

af_023.jpg

MadMax '58 said:
As I have been looking at the different repro "Schwinn" springers for my builds....
I have found 3 different styles that are available......

Looking at your pics....It seems you had a standard style springer on the bike and the
springer you have on there now is the straight kick out "Hot Rod" style......
Hope this helps...... :D 8)

I went with the one that looked like the original. Setting them side by side they seem very close. I fixed it this morning. Got a six inch bolt and a 1 inch spacer and added a lock nut on the end. I'll probably paint the hardware black. I like the cushion of these forks but they sure are flexible. Now I just need my new fenders to show up and paint my wheels orange and then I'll be done with it.

af_026.jpg

af_027.jpg

Went for a six mile ride this afternoon and it worked pretty good. Only problem is in sharp turns, the tire hits the forks. Not sure what to do about that and it will be worse once I get the fenders installed.

Tighten all the nuts and bolts on the springer.
Mine did same 1st time out with it.
Try it...mite work?

The long bolt that the fork pivots around,and goes through the bottom of the steer tube should have a nylon washer between each fork leg and the steer tube.That way,you can get it pretty tight without it binding. How about the hub ? All ball bearings present and cones as tight as can be without binding? For more clearance I mounted the fork legs on the outside of the yoke & coil spring.Replaed those bolts with longer stainless steel bolts , having the bolt head on the inside,then a regular ss nut on the outside, then the fork legs,then a stainless nylock nut. Fender braces can be adjusted for more clearance.

For now I've given up on the springer. Everything was tight and adjusted. My new fenders arrived and they're too wide for the fork. Might have been able to add spacers but now I've got a triple tree on there. Just have to think of how to make it look different from my other bike with the same fork.

Thanks for all the advice.

Back